Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Side-lying nursing only?

Default Side-lying nursing only?

My DS will be 5 months old next week, and about 90% of his nursing is done in the side-lying position. Besides the first two weeks of his life, he's never liked being held in a cradle hold, and barely tolerated it for nursing with a nursing pillow. Starting at about four months, he definitely became distractible and would pop on and off when offered the breast between naptimes. (This means he's eating every 2-3 hours, with little interest in snacking.)

I work from home, so it's not a big deal when we're here, but when we're out, he refuses to nurse. After a few cranky, back-arching, breast-exposing moments in restaurants and even in the car, I've mostly given up trying to feed him in public. (though he will nurse in a sling occasionally, if he's hungry enough.) We've started bringing bottles for car feedings. I worry that he'll forget how to nurse any other way and will only associate the breast with sleep.

Or maybe that's no big deal?

Anyone have similar experiences?

P.S. This is my first post here! I've been browsing the amazing forums here for weeks and am so impressed by how helpful and encouraging everyone is. Happy to be here!

Default Re: Side-lying nursing only?

. My first son only nursed side lying for a super long time. In fact at my first LLL meeting the leader spread out a blanket and i was like but the point was "whatever works!" at about 9 months he would sit more upright in my lap and nurse if we were out but still nursed side lying at home (still does BTW ). My second son does most nursing side lying too, but i think its because im so used to it! When they start eating more table food its easier to go out IMO, you can nurse at home before and after a restaurant or whatever.

All in all, im still trying to wean my side lying nursling at 4 YO so it will still work!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Jenna is proof that side-lying nursing isn't a fast ticket to weaning!

Your LO is still very young. I am willing to bet that as he gets older and more mobile, he's going to start to want to experiment with new positions. By the time you're nursing a toddler, it's often more like nursing a monkey... They climb all over you and try to nurse upside down and backwards, or standing up, or over your shoulder.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, y'all, for both the warm welcome and your reassuring experiences! It's good to know that we're not alone in our bed-nursing time, and that this doesn't mean that he'll wean super-early or anything like that. (How did you know that was one of my unconscious concerns??)

I'm so excited about watching his nursing personality develop. I was also nervous that he would only nurse for food and never for comfort, but I suppose that's nearly impossible, since even when it's "just for food," it provides comfort and closeness as well, right?

Oh he will and youre right, he already does nurse for comfort. Just think your smell and your milk are his very oldest memory, he can recognize you from what he remembers biologically in utero. Thats why a newborn will crawl up his mom when born to nurse, you are his greatest comfort. At this age even he still considers himself part of you, he doesnt realize he is a separate person.

I will be sure to remind you of this fear when you post in a few months about wanting a free moment! . Youre doing great, keep it up!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I have OALD so side laying has been key to our nursing. In fact up until the last couple of days if we were home he would only nurse in this position. Over the last few days he has started to fight going to sleep & so now he doesnt want to nurse side laying (he falls asleep very easy in this position)....... as my mom keeps telling me the only thing you can count on with a baby is change.
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

DS is now about 7 months old and has always done his best nursing in a side-lying position. Actually, OP describes how we nurse these days almost to a T.... I attribute our issues to the fact that I have a slow let-down, and that DS just needs to be sleepy to be patient enough to wait for the milk to come. Once it comes he'll stay latched on for the most part, unless we're in a very interesting environment that he wants to observe. But I've had numerous breast exposure moments in restaurants etc. (not that I care anymore, hehe), but I agree with the PP that solids take some of the pressure off when it comes to nursing in restaurants. And DS also nurses a little better in a sling...and if he's sleepy, he'll sometimes tolerate me placing a piece of the tail over his eyes so that he pops off less and nurses more... I'm sure you'll be fine, OP!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :