Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extreme nipple pain...HELP!

Default Re: Extreme nipple pain...HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leafyme View Post
    Once she has areola in her mouth, everything is fine, it actually feels good. It's just getting there that is hard.
    I had similar issues with my son. I used to just wait until his mouth was open to give him the nipple. It can take a while, but eventually they do open their mouths. You could have someone else touch her cheek. If she still has the rooting reflex, she'll open her mouth to get to their finger. Then, you can put in your nipple just as her mouth is open. If you do this a few times, she should get the message that an open mouth gets fed and closed one doesn't.

Having said this, I'm not sure my son ever really opened his mouth wide enough by most people's standards. And, yes, the pain was excruciating. But, please know that our bodies are incredibly adaptable, so the pain will subside even if your daughter continues taking your nipple like a straw. It's just going to be a very rough few weeks. It's like running 10 miles without any preparation; your muscles are going to be incredibly sore, but if you keep doing it every day, eventually they'll be able to take the 10 miles without any problem.

Hang in there. It sounds like you're doing everything else correctly. Your nipples just have to get used to their new job. If you can put up with the pain for now, it will pay off. I went on to nurse my son for 4-1/2 years, and after those first few weeks, it was pain-free.

Good luck!
    Mom to 4/19/2011, 5/14/2009, and 12/14/2002

Thanks for the encouragement!
    A friend recommended that I try putting nipple butter all over my nipple and areola before I latch her to make it slippery and able to slide into her mouth easier. I've done this at the last 2 feedings and it has worked to a certain degree. It still hurts, but not for as long. She's sucking more into her mouth faster due to the slippery-ness.
    Mommy to Ophelia
    Born April 16 2011 after 2.5 yrs TTC

You're very welcome. Your friend's idea is an awesome one. That's great you're seeing some improvement.
    Mom to 4/19/2011, 5/14/2009, and 12/14/2002

I had the same problem at first. Extreme pain when my son latched on, so much so it immediately brought me to tears. We went and got help from a LC and his latch was a little shallow so she helped me try to make it better. Honestly it seemed impossible to get any more of my big ol' boob in his tiny little mouth! I don't know if his latch got any better or if I finally just got used to it, but the pain went away after about 2 weeks. Also hydrogel pads helped me a ton! Hang in there!

I think part of the problem has been engorgement. I've been on domperidone, fenugreek and blessed thistle. I've since stopped the domperidone and have been so much more comfortable while nursing. But I've also been waiting longer for her to open her mouth really wide, combined with putting lots of nipple butter on before she nurses.

Things have been much better this week so far!
    Mommy to Ophelia
    Born April 16 2011 after 2.5 yrs TTC

glad things are going beter. you can do this anytime you have engorgement:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html