Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme nipple pain...HELP!

Default Extreme nipple pain...HELP!

My LO is 15 weeks old and we finally kicked her 14 week nipple shield addiction this week after seeing a few LCs. Now I'm having problems with excruciating nipple pain when she first latches, it is so unbearable that I have to take her off, which upsets her and I'm then unable to get her back on. I haven't had to deal with nipple issues at all due to the nipple shield protecting them over the last 14 weeks.

I think she's got a bad latch that kind of corrects itself as she's nursing. She doesn't really open her mouth wide when she first gets on, it's more like she's using my nipple like a straw until she sucks enough of my areola into her mouth. By the end of the session everything feels fine and my nipple shape looks good when she unlatches.

What can I do to get enough of my areola into her mouth from the beginning of the feeding? I'm currently squishing my breast as flat as I can to try try to get as much in as possible, but that isn't working since she won't open her mouth very wide.

I have a follow up appt with the LC that helped us kick the shield, but it's not for another week and a half, I fear that the pain will make me use the shield again before then if I can't figure something out.
    Mommy to Ophelia
    Born April 16 2011 after 2.5 yrs TTC

Default Re: Extreme nipple pain...HELP!

15 weeks is still pretty young yet.
    ARe your nipples cracked or bleeding?

No, not yet. We've only been off the shield since Tuesday. I've also been slathering them with nipple butter between feedings.
    Mommy to Ophelia

k thats good that's the right thing to do..
    I vote if you get a good latch with the shield keep using it. IF your baby is gaining weight well and transfering milk well...
    hang in there!

We've been working for close to 12 weeks to get off the shield, so I really don't want to continue to use it. I actually resent that I was given it to use in the first place.
    The LC that I saw this week felt that my supply has probably been slowly diminishing due to the shield, my LOs wieght gain has slowed and she was getting very frustrated at the breast while using the shield.
    Mommy to Ophelia

rock and hard place...
    have you read about nipple blanching? I wonder if thats what's going on. I'll get a link

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure that's the problem though.

The pain comes as soon as she latches and stops either when I pull her off or grin and bear it until she has more of the areola in her mouth. I feel like it's due to her only taking the nipple in her mouth initially, using it like a straw. Should that cause so much pain? How can I get her to open her mouth more to take in some of the areola upon latching instead of eventually getting the areola into her mouth through sucking. Once she has areola in her mouth, everything is fine, it actually feels good. It's just getting there that is hard.
    Mommy to Ophelia

I know it sounds silly but have you opened your mouth to show her? she should be able to copy.

I'll give that a try at our next feeding. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Mommy to Ophelia