Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overdiagnosis of Thrush

Default Overdiagnosis of Thrush

Part of what makes thrush so tricky is that there aren't always clear, consistent symptoms that can distinguish it from other problems. It's one of those conditions that is diagnosed by the absence of evidence that it's something else.

There's a post at bestforbabes.org (disclaimer - not an LLL source) about what other possibilities should be considered when it looks like thrush.

It's Thrush. Or Is It?

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it must be a duck right? Not necessarily if that “duck” is thrush in a breastfeeding mom. Thrush (a yeast infection most commonly caused by the fungus Candida albicans) is a common diagnosis whenever a mother presents herself to a doctor with nipple or breast pain. Unfortunately, thrush is not as common as many health care providers seem to think, and many women suffer needlessly due to misdiagnosis.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Overdiagnosis of Thrush

I thought my son had thrush at one point, turns out I just needed to clear off the excess milk residue out of his mouth with a wet wash cloth twice a day! Who knew?
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Great post! TFS. Thrush is always one of my go-tos when someone has pain that crops up all of a sudden, but it looks like bacterial infection is just as likely.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i am soooo glad that bacterial infection is getting more recognition. i have talked with countless moms who were treated with assumed recurrent thrush, only to call in tears because they were getting no relief. bacteria ended up being the culprit in each case. i think that MDs hear about thrush most frequently and a bacterial infection may not necessarily come to mind as something needing to be ruled out.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!