Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Soapy Milk =(

Unhappy Soapy Milk =(

I'll be going back to work in 3 weeks and I've just begun introducing the bottle to my LO who is 2 months old. She will only take a little bit (.5 oz) and I'm wondering if it's because my pumped milk tastes soapy. I have tried scalding the milk which takes some of the soapy taste away, but its still a big difference in taste from the milk immediately pumped.
    Does going back to work mark the end of my breastfeeding relationship? The prospect of this makes me very sad. I’m so discouraged right now.
    What do you ladies think?
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

Default Re: Soapy Milk =(

It sounds like your baby vastly prefers nursing to bottle-feeding, so I see no reason why going back to work would mean the end of breastfeeding. If anything, it sounds like your struggle may be getting your baby to bottle-feed, not to nurse. Have you tried having someone other than you give the bottle? Babies often resist taking a bottle from mom- after all, they know mom has the real thing!

Soapy milk sounds like q lipase issue, so you're definitely on the right track with scalding: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi mama!

sorry to hear about the lipase issue, i have it too and it is annoying. I use the bottle warmer method when i freeze any milk but i give my son fresh milk. I will use milk that i pumped 1-3 days before. my milk turns pretty fast and originally i was scalding everything because the milk tasted bad to ME. i started just giving the baby unscalded milk, even if i thought it was funky and he took it! its important to give them as much fresh milk as possible.

try this method, its so simple:
    http://simplyrebekah.com/2010/05/03/...g-breast-milk/

as for taking the bottle, the baby will. my son didnt like bottles when he went to daycare and i was very upset about it, thinking he could be screaming all day. i had my husband try the bottle, but it did not work well, he would take a little but not latch on to the bottle. I honestly think my dh needed to work a little harder at it but what could i do.

I sent my lo into daycare with bottles and a dropper so they could give some milk even if he refused the bottle. I had also sent in the shirt that i slept in the night before (so it smelled like me). one of the teachers put the shirt on her chest and snuggled my son with a blanket and he took the bottle!

bottles i hear bf babies take a lot are the platex drop ins. my lo only like the medela. i wanted him to take the breastflow but he refused

good luck! it will all work out and you will be so happy to see your baby at the end of a long work day and nurse! its my favorite time

hope that helps!

with pp and want to encourage you to keep trying with bottles. My DS1 took a bottle no problem, but DS2 was way harder, we tried like 7 kinds of bottles and when I dropped him at DCP I still didn't have him taking it from DH or my mom. dCP did eventually get him to drink but it was a long process.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

i just also want to say, try to pump some milk and then have someone else try to give her that. this way:
    1. you pumped when she was getting the bottle so you are encouraging your body to make more milk
    2. you eliminate the funky taste as a factor in why she may not be taking the bottle

first thing in the am i would nurse the baby, pump, then get ready to do out. by the time i would be ready to leave the baby would not be starving but would be willing to take some milk. leaving the house is important for you and the baby. its very hard to listen to someone try to give your baby a bottle! plus then they know you are not there and may be wore willing to take it. I did this and my lo still wouldn't take the bottle so i knew it wasn't the milk really, just that he needed time to get adjusted to the bottle.

(i wouldnt want a bottle over a nice warm breast that i can snuggle with either)

Cup feeding can work if bottles are not working... but LO is smart and will figure out that when mama is gone whatever the milk vessel is is the way to get food. It will be fine

Google cup feeding videos on YouTube if you're curious
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Hey Ladies!
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I guess what I'm concerned most about is the scalding part. My job is pretty demanding and I'm out of the office & driving around about 75-80% of the time and I won't be able to scald the milk until I get home. My original plan was to pump in the car & store in the Medela storage container w/ the ice packs then freeze or prepare for the care provider.

Will scalding the milk at that point still work (after 4-7 hours)? Its definitely worth a try, but has anyone had this experience?

@mtmama - I didn't know about the digital bottle warmer method, which could work in my car too, huh?!?! Maybe there is a way! I'll be going out to get one of those tomorrow. I'm very happy I noticed this problem before my stockpile of milk got too large -- I'll only be throwing out 27 oz of frozen milk tonight, since it's NO good.

@mommal - LO definitely loves BF since she's gotten better at handling my OALD.
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

no need to scald that quickly (most likely) imo, you wont need to scald at work or even that night. what you pump one day is the milk for the next day. you need to find out if the baby takes it once she takes the bottle. you will need to scald when you freeze though.

my milk goes off within several hours. i scald only if i freeze, and i only freeze if the milk is going to be out longer than 3 days. meaning if i have milk that has been in the fridge 2-3 days i scald it and freeze it if my lo is not going to take it that day or the next.

if you want to know when your milk turns, pump an oz or two, leave in the fridge and check periodically, every few hours to a few days. many moms have milk that is fine for awhile, just turns off in the freeze over extended time.

keep in mind though that my milk tastes funny to me in a few hours. i do not scald it and give it to my lo within1-3 days and he has no problem with it. fresh non frozen non scalded milk is best. good luck!