Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Improving the latch of a toddler

Default Improving the latch of a toddler

How can I get my daughter to improve her latch? The problem is when she's sleepy. I nurse her to sleep at night and when I finish I have two little indents from her top two teeth.

It's not enough to make me stop, but it's kind of uncomfortable. And I need another case of thrush like I need a hole in my head.

Ideas? Suggestions? Her latch is ok when she's awake. It's the sleepy time that's not good. I try to take her off and get her to relatch, but she then seems to slip and get lazy with it again.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Improving the latch of a toddler

DD went through this at the same age. She stopped a little while back. I didn't do anything much, but have you thought about slightly changing the position you nurse in? So if you normally have her head on your arm while you side-lie move your arm out or vice versa All I got I am afraid.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Same problem with 18month old latch only it is great when she is sleepy and she pulls my nipple when she's not. It is a horrible latch and I can't believe I've put up with it for so long.

being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

The problem with toddler nursing is that mother and child both get comfortable and as a result, lazy. It happens to both of you. But every time a new tooth shows up the landscape changes and the child isn't sure how to navigate what's new in her mouth. The good news is, you already know how. You improve the latch of a toddler the exact same way you do a newborn. By being diligent. As soon as it gets uncomfortable, you pop off, wait for a super wide mouth and shove a much tit as humanly possible in her mouth. Because if you have to get grazed by new teeth, they hurt way less on your breast than they do on your nipple. And the other good news is that your child actually already knows the drill. Any doubt, when she looks up at you. open your mouth wide, but most toddlers understand that when popped off they need to open wider to continue eating.

Way too lazy for formula

Thx for the input. She's not happy about relatching. Hopefully she will get better quickly! I found a little scab on my nipple.

Christine

Practice with her a lot during the day, exaggerating a wide mouth for latching on ... I think latching is a kinesthetic skill. So if you're always doing it one way during the day, you're more likely to do it that way at night. This is less true for a toddler than for a newborn - toddlers can have different latches. Still, practicing during the day (especially, practicing in the lying down position like at night) couldn't hurt.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Practice with her a lot during the day, exaggerating a wide mouth for latching on ... I think latching is a kinesthetic skill. So if you're always doing it one way during the day, you're more likely to do it that way at night. This is less true for a toddler than for a newborn - toddlers can have different latches. Still, practicing during the day (especially, practicing in the lying down position like at night) couldn't hurt.
    Good call.

Christine