Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP before they crack and bleed!

Question HELP before they crack and bleed!

3 day old new mommy here! Baby and I are working on improving her latch. I'm sure once we get it down I'll be much, much better. However, in the mean time what can I do to treat my sore nipples other than applying breastmilk and/or Lanolin?

TIA!!

Default Re: HELP before they crack and bleed!

First of all, congratulations!!

I found polysorin ointment (like neosporin but a diff't formulation, you can get it at the drugstore) to be more healing than lanolin. It can also prevent bacteria from entering the cracks in your nipple, which can cause mastitis - very common and seriously NOT fun.

We're here to help you sort out any other problems you run across. You can do this!!

Have you seen a lactation consultant about your latch? Hands on help really makes a world of difference.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Let the air dry them. If it means sleeping topless or hanging out bra-less in your living room, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first! This is what worked for me. I lived in my housecoat and my husband had to warn me whenever someone who wouldn't want to see my boob came by! This was even in the hospital. The NICU she stayed in has glass doors/wall and I would always forget to pull the curtains lol. It gets way easier pretty quick!
    Congrats on the new baby!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Cingratulations on your new baby!

Let your nipples have fresh air between feeds. Cold packs can be a relief, and pain reliever can help. Mostly, though, time will help, and getting the latch correct. What problems are you having with latch?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I think if you have open wounds, bleeding, or cracks, the new recommendation is to keep the area moist with some kind of ointment, to prevent it from scabbing over, which only makes it worse (when your baby rips off the scab by nursing ). For regular soreness (no cracks, oozing, bleeding), air drying is the way to go. Good luck!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Cingratulations on your new baby!

Let your nipples have fresh air between feeds. Cold packs can be a relief, and pain reliever can help. Mostly, though, time will help, and getting the latch correct. What problems are you having with latch?
    She presses down and begins to suck right away. I'm having trouble getting her mouth to open wide and push her into me. Some feedings are better than others. Also my nipples aren't really protruding the way I've seen other nipples in latch videos I've been watching. I wonder if that's a problem too.

I think they choose women with extra-long nipples for the videos! Are yours generally flat to the skin? And how do they look when your baby unlatches?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is a link for advice on flat/inverted nipples.
    http://www.llli.org/faq/flat.html
    I personally used a shield for the first 3 months. Medela makes some really thin ones.

Also check out this link about posistioning. Laid back nursing saved my breastfeeding relationship.
    http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think they choose women with extra-long nipples for the videos! Are yours generally flat to the skin? And how do they look when your baby unlatches?
    Mine were really flat when I first started BF'ing. Now, I could be a STAR in one of those videos. It's amazing what two years of nursing can do. So don't imagine that the current state of your nipples is in any way permanent. Women with inverted nipples have found that their nipples permanently ex-verted after nursing.

You can call me JoMo!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Mine were really flat when I first started BF'ing. Now, I could be a STAR in one of those videos. It's amazing what two years of nursing can do. So don't imagine that the current state of your nipples is in any way permanent. Women with inverted nipples have found that their nipples permanently ex-verted after nursing.
    and Mine used to be mostly flat, now they are permanently everted.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"