Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn spitting up after some feedings

Default Newborn spitting up after some feedings

Our newborn, 2 days old, spits up after some of her feedings. I'm only concerned because when she does spit up, it seems she is spitting up the majority of what is consumed in the last feeding. Currently, she is breastfeeding approximately 30-40 minutes every 3-3.5 hours. I'm considering more frequent, but smaller feedings.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Do you have any advice on how to avoid this moving forward?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Erin

Default Re: Newborn spitting up after some feedings

Congratulations on your brand new little one!

That all sounds perfectly normal. Babies just do spit up. As long as she doesn't seem bothered by it, and is growing well and having enough wet and dirty diapers, you can assume that the spitting up is more of a laundry problem than anything else.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Default Re: Newborn spitting up after some feedi

with the PP.

I know that the spit-up probably looks like a huge amount, but If you measure out 2 oz or so of milk and pour it on the counter, you will see that it's probably a lot more than your baby spits.

More frequent feedings are always a good idea with any baby, but particularly with a newborn. You want to aim for a bare minimum of 8 feedings per day, and if your baby is feeding only every 3-3.5 hours IMO you might have good results if you tried to get her to nurse every 2-3 hours. Just remember that it's more important to respond to demand than to adhere to any sort of schedule.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"