Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: losing milk overnight?

Default losing milk overnight?

Can you lose a significant amount of milk production overnight? Yesterday my milk production was fine. I pumped 6 ounces after a 3.5 hour work day (baby had 3 ounces while I was gone) and baby ate every 3 hours or so. Today baby has been eating every hour or two and has been acting STARVING each time. Then he cries like my milk is coming out slowly (I know he is getting some because I hear him swallow every once in awhile, but not nearly as much as he usually does). I have been pumping in the mornings to save up some milk for when I go on a business trip in September. I usually get between 2 and 4 ounces for 15 minutes of pumping. Today I pumped for 20 minutes and got barely one ounce. I am pumping again to try to make up for the amount of milk I didn't get this morning. I have been pumping for 10 minutes and have barely half an ounce between the two bottles. Please help!!!

ETA: These pumping amounts are with compressions being done the entire time.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: losing milk overnight?

Is AF back? That always dropped my production (it is common). Also I noticed a difference on days when I didn't drink as much as usual.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Not yet, but I got zits on my face yesterday, which I haven't had since before I got pregnant, and though that AF must be coming soon. Maybe that is the reason. What do I do? Drink a lot of mother's milk tea? I can't believe it would go down so drastically - and does it last the whole time AF is here, plus time before that? That would be like 2 weeks of low amounts of milk.

DS since 1/30/11

I drank as much as usual, but I did exercise more intensely than normal, so maybe I am slightly dehydrated. I will drink LOTS tomorrow.

DS since 1/30/11

Could be AF - in which case there isn't much you can do except stay hydrated (but it still will reduce your supply even if you're hydrated) and hang in there until it passes (usually AF reduces your supply for a day or two at most).

Also, pregnancy - if you're pregnant, that causes a significant drop in supply for a lot of women.

Or it could be your pump. Have you replaced your membranes recently? Taken everything apart and put it back together? I can't tell you how many times I thought my supply had tanked and it ended up being a pump problem.

One thing that isn't likely - a random decrease in supply for no reason. That doesn't really happen.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

For me it was just the couple of days before hand really. If you really need to you can take a calcium magnesium supplement from around ovulation through the first few days of your period to help combat any decrease in supply.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I had a similar drastic drop in supply after taking a 24 hr extended release sudafed pill. After I noticed my pumping output had diminished and my 4 mo DS was frustrated at the breast I did some research and learned that pseudophedrin (sp?) has significant effects on milk supply and has even been used to help women with over supply problems..... Terrible mistake but milk came back to normal in 48 hrs and now I just deal with my sinuses with saline spray...

I notice ebbs and flows with my supply on a fairly regular basis. For example most Mondays when pumping my supply is super low (even though most stuff you read says production is usually higher on Mondays because you were nursing all weekend). When I have low production days I just have to remind myself that I can get it back up and stressing is counter productive. I eat oatmeal and drink a ton of water, no caffine and the next day in addition to compressions I do a lot of visualizations. Visualisling (sp?) the way my milk lets down and flows and force myself to not email or something while nursing/pumping. This has helped me whenever my supply dips. GL
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language