Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: the nipple twister

Default the nipple twister

my son (5 months) has been latching and while waiting for the let down he gets frustrated and clamps down and twists he also does this when my breast is almost empty. he has no teeth yet but i am getting nervous that he will soon and it is uncomfortable enough with just gums. is this normal? any suggestions?

Default Re: the nipple twister

It's certainly not abnormal. My son is now 10 months and twists up his whole body pulling on my nipple like it can go with him to the other side of the room.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

lo is 5 months and is now constantly pinching my nipple between his fingers and squeezing as hard as he can.... that gets my attention pretty quick!

i jokingly tell him he's on the fast track to formula... that hasn't helped but i have been trying to sing to him as we wait for the let down and he's smiley and calmer.

My 9 month old does this all the time. He is on and off nursing strikes (where I feed him EBM) from teething pretty much all the time now; so I don't wanna do anything to discourage him either so I don't know what to do. If you think it might be teething though maybe give him a little ice or frozen breastmilk to suck on before nursing so his gums are soothed? x
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sk1718 View Post
    i jokingly tell him he's on the fast track to formula... that hasn't helped but i have been trying to sing to him as we wait for the let down and he's smiley and calmer.
    love your pic by the way!

Time to teach him some nursing manners. Bfing is a wonderful place to begin learning about loving care and respect for others. The trick with undesirable nursing behaviour is you don't want it to get to the point where you squawk out in pain or otherwise react very strongly, because some sensitive LOs will go on a nursing strike afterward out of shock and concern they are hurting their beloved mama. So pop a finger to break the suction and unlatch him every time he does this, tell him calmly that 'gentle with mama/that hurts mama' and then offer the breast again. It might be tedious going at first with latching on quite a few times but he will get it.

You have not only the right to create a mutually respectful and pleasant bfing experience--relationship!, it's really quite important because LO has no idea he is causing or capable of causing this discomfort. This is a normal and natural step towards learning to 'gentle touches' and developing empathy. Give him a chance and once he knows it hurts he will be glad to show you his gentle and loving side.

BTW I used British Sign Language when I said 'gentle', which is one hand that gives a caress from approximately the fingertips to knuckle joint, and it's been a useful sign to use with her many times since then. Dogs also benefit from verbal and physical signals, it can help LO learn faster what you're saying to discriminate from just another of the mass of sounds to a particular word/sound that she can focus on.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

thx bxigirl, great advice!
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11