Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Day old, bad latch and strong suck

Default 3 Day old, bad latch and strong suck

Hi mamas!

My cousin is having a lot of trouble latching the new baby on. Breastfeeding was extremely painful at the hospital and her nipples were getting damaged. She stopped nursing and has been pumping and finger feeding formula since. She's still pumping only colostrum her milk has not come in yet. I've been at her place since she came home from the hospital and I will be here for about a week. Hopefull we can get things going a bit better by the time I leave.

I helped her a bit last night and we managed to get one successful latch without pain so I'm sure it's a latch issue. She nursed for about 5 minutes and then the latch slipped (I'm guessing) and suddenly became painful again. Baby sucks so hard though that she has purple bruises on her areola and it's difficult to get her finger in there to break suction and reposition. Baby has trouble opening her mouth wide enough to latch. My cousin's very frustrated but really wants to breastfeed. I've never seen bruising like she has before (not that I've seen a lot of breasts but bruising is not somethat typically comes up as an issue).

There doesn't seem to be any tongue tie so that's not an issue.

Tips? Suggestions? Help me touble shoot please

I know generally we want to avoid shields but in her case do you think it's worth a try? Baby has not had a bottle or pacifier but is being finger fed which of course requires a different mouth position.

Oh and there's a nurse that should come by today or tomorrow so I will definitely be getting her to ask about seeing a LC. She saw one in the hospital but they only spoke and very briefly. she showed how to latch with a to breast and a stuffed bear not with the baby. So that is most definitely something that I'll be encouraging.
    Last edited by @llli*babylove; July 29th, 2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: 3 Day old, bad latch and strong suck

Your cousin is indeed fortunate to have your know-how and support.
    it is common in the first week of life for newborns to have sub-optimal latching skills, however the more he nurses the better his latching will be.
    try not to use the shield b/c the shield is a tool best used for a baby who has imprinted on a artificial teat and now is learning to transition to the breasts.
    do you have a copy of the womanly art of breastfeeding? There is advice on positioning that might be useful to your cousin.
    Some babies have been known to self correct their awkward latch once the mom's milk comes in.
    Help your cousin stay focoused on getting her milk in, help her latch the baby as best as possible.
    sometimes moms need to complain and fuss and they need a sympathetic ear while learning to navigate the art of breastfeeding.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Maybe try her pumping a little colostrum before trying to latch on. If she gets the milk/colostrum flowing beforehand, maybe the baby won't have to generate so much suction.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I think the absolute best thing she can do is to see a LC, preferably an IBCLC, immediately. If the latch was causing nipple damage so soon after birth, then she really does need hands-on help. I also suggest checking out the Dr. Jack Newman website for latching videos, and googling "nipple sandwich technique" for a trick that may help get more breast into a tiny mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies
    It's so hard because I feel like I've crossed the line between supporting and pushing. She's in so much pain. She saw the nurse today and has an appointment for latch help on Sunday. But in the meantime she's pumping an still finger feeding with a tube. Her milk still hasn't come in. She's close to just using bottles and I totally get it. She has an 18 month old as well. I just want her to feel like I'm here to support her not to disapprove of how things are going. She knows I'm here. I think I need to take this hat off now unless she asks me specifically to help.
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Tell her not to be discouraged about her milk not coming in yet. It took 5 days with both my girls (the first I was pumping as she was in NICU, and the second was EBF with a good latch from day one...and we immediately got thrush when my milk came in :/)
    I would have baby checked for ties if there seems to be difficulty with the mouth being able to open. Good luck to her!

Also try laid-back breastfeeding to help with the latch, which took my DD weeks to not only learn to do properly but also to grow her mouth big enough to avoid clamping down. Not saying this will be your cousin's case but 3 days old mother & baby are just learning everything. Also that is the right time when the postpartum hormone changes flood in and the baby blues can hit. I had crying spells on day 3: textbook! Sometimes it's the hormonal system amping up mama's response. Keep listening empathetically to her and let her vent, she'll bounce back a bit after tearing up.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Oh gosh, that's hard. Hard for your cousin and a difficult spot for you to be in too. When it's family it can be so tough to give the mom space to make her own decisions because you care that much more. But you're absolutely right, the best thing you can do is be supportive of her regardless of how it turns out. And if she's in pain and stressed out it may be hard for her to hear suggestions. Maybe you could show her the video at biologicalnurturing.com, and see if she's up to giving laid-back nursing a try. As an experiment?

It does sound like she really needs an IBCLC to take a look at what's going on. And if the LC suggests nipple shields-- they're certainly not optimal, but if it comes down to a choice between getting the baby to the breast with nipple shields or continuing to pump and finger- or bottle-feed, they may be the best tool for the situation.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes tomorrow.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

It just seems like such a short amount of time to not still be trying to nurse guess. Max torn my nipples up from day one because of a shallow latch, can she football hold him and position him so her nipple is alined with his nose so he opens up as much as possible and then do the nipple sandwich? This is what I really had to work on, along with holding my breast the whole time and baby up way high and tight under my arm. It may be easier after her milk comes in but an IBCLC is a must. Glad you're there for her
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for the responses.
    It's a tough position to be in. I Get the feeling that she thinks she needs to live up to my example and is failing. I suggested a IBCLC to her hudband. As with most of my other suggestions I get agreement but then no follow through. The health nurse came back today to help with breastfeeding but I wasn't there so I don't know what she suggested. I know at the last visit she was told to pump 15 min on each side evey 3 hours or less. And even though I suggested that she should pump with every feeding she's been sticking to 3 hours. The nurse helped her get a good latch but like last time after a couple of minutes it slips and hurts again. She's upstairs trying again right now. I just think my presence is adding stress rather than support I will look up that video on laid back nursing.
    I agree that it feels really early to give up. I was shocked when she came home from the hospital and was already feeding formula albeit finger feeding. But I'm not in her head or in her skin. I don't know how painful it truly was. I don't know how her thoughts were working. I do know she was disappointed that she felt like she was already failing (again) and that she was discouraged and frustrated. And I understand all of those feelings. She knows that getting the right latch is going to take time learning and patience. We've discussed that. Logically she knows. As a mom with a newborn and an 18 month old the thought is exhausting and I totally understand why she is debating whether it's worth the effort. I'm just hoping she gets a little success on her own so I can throw in some more encouragement.
    Amanda