Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re: blood in milk

Default Re: blood in milk

I don't see blood in my milk but, I do on my nipple. It started out as a white spot on my nipple. I thought I may have a block duct so I followed the instruction for that (nurse, nurse,nurse, and offer that breast first at feedings, and pumping afterwards). Now the white spot is gone but there is like a whole in my nipple. my son's bm have been darker in color and with some little back dots in them. And just this morning he had the same color brown come out with some of his spit after nursing. It hurts real bad when he nurses off it and pumping it. So I hand expressed the milk out after his last feeding. I plan on calling my doc thismorning,too. What should I do?

mdawn

Hi mdawn
    I moved your post to a new thread so it could get the attention it deserves Did you talk to your doctor today? What did he/she tell you?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

LLL LactoJen

Thanks for moving it. How can I see what is going on there? Will I still get emails like I did with the other thread?

Yes I did talk to my doctor and she said that it would be fine to still nurse from that breast and that I should to keep milk supply. She also said to call back if I would get a fever, or my nipple would turn red, or if it felt hot to the touch. This is a sign of infection, right?

What can I do to releive the pain? Obviously there's nothing I can do while he's nursing (which it only hurts for a couple minutes when he first stars) but, it will sting or burn for a little while after he's finished. And sometimes if there's pressure on it, like if I'm burping him over that shoulder.

mdawn

Hi mdawn-

Ouch! Sounds like you're describing something that has happened to me a couple of times now. I get a white spot on my nipple and intense pain every time I feed my LO on that side. The white spot is sometimes as small as a millimeter, sometimes a 3-4 millimeters across, and varies in shape from round to irregular. I also usually have a blocked duct as well. (For me, that means a part of my breast feels hard and tender and full even after my DD has had a good feed.) The white dot, I've determined, is a milk blister or milk bleb, where a bit of skin has grown over a duct's opening. Sometimes the blister will break on its own with lots of nursing, and sometimes I end up piercing it with a sterile needle. (Sorry if that sounds totally gross!) Afterwards, if the blister has been particularly bad, the dead skin peels away after my DD nurses, leaving a small hole, which is really painful during nursing.

I find the hole usually closes up in a few days to a week, especially if I am more careful with my DD's latch. Being careful with her latching in the first place definitely helps prevent the milk blister from forming in the first place. Also, as she grows, I find I have fewer and fewer problems of this sort.

HTH!

Momma1

That does sound like what I have. And now that you mention about laching on good, I do now remember my son having a little trouble getting on this side on his own. So I would help him by holding my nipple and helping him get it in his mouth.

Is there anything that I can do for the pain and uncomfort while he not nursing?

mdawn

My son is 5 1/2 months old and I just got another one of those milk blisters. The last time I had them when when he was a week old. I think since he is teething and "gumming" me more often, he is causing some irritation. I had mastitis when he was 6 days old and was miserable for one day. The antibiotics really worked and I have had no problems since. So far so good on the infection this time. But I do have a little hole in my nipple and it is more sensitive. The best thing to do is nurse and pump through the pain. Lanolin cream really helps form a nice barrier and also your own milk helps. Squeeze a little out after you nurse and rub it into your nipple and keep your bra flap dow for a few minutes to air it out.

Hi mdawn-

I wish I could say I had found a magic cure to make the pain go away immediately, but I haven't. Making sure the latch is 100% perfect helps, and I think lanolin cream or one of those hydrogel patches would probably help too. I usually express some milk and moisturize the irritated skin with it, and if it's really painful, I try to leave my bra flap down, as the pp mentioned. What really helps, though, is time. Hang tough- it will get better!

Thanks for the advice Momma1 and caarter's mommy.

I have been putting a nice amount of the cream on that nipple after every feeding and shower. It is starting to feel a little better. I hope I don't have to go through this again. Is it possible that the blister or hole couls effect the taste of the milk? My son has been a little more fussy the past few days. And didn't knoe if it was him, something I ate, or possible the nipple issue.

mdawn