Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work anxiety :o(

Unhappy Back to work anxiety :o(

Sorry that this is a long post. I am having serious back to work anxiety. I am lucky to live in Toronto, Canada and have had a full year off with my DD. But now that she is 11 months all I can think about is the fact that she is going to the babysitter in September and I am back to teaching. I want to continue to breastfeed as long as she wants and am really worried about how that is going to go.

I have a whole bunch of questions for the working-breastfeeding moms out there. Here is my plan for september and then I will post my questions and if you have any answers and feedback it will be really, really appreciated.

I will be dropping her off at the sitter around 8 a.m. and plan to nurse her when I get there if she co-operates, and will be picking her up at 3:00 p.m. and will nurse her there when I pick her up. We will have an hour long (traffic permitting) commute each way. My DD loves solids, and eats 3 meals and 2 snacks during the day, and probably drinks 30-60 ml (2-4 ounces) of water during the day from a sippy cup, which will continue at the sitter.

I plan to pump/nurse on this schedule during the week:

6:00 a.m. DD wakes up and nurses
    6:30 a.m. while DD eats breakfast after morning feed
    8:00 a.m. nurse DD at sitter
    11:00a.m. pump at school on my lunch
    2:00 p.m. pump at school on my break
    3:00 p.m. nurse DD at sitter before drive home
    Nurse on cue for rest of night at home.
    Pump at 10:30 p.m. and 2:30 a.m. if possible.

Here are my questions:
    1) How long does it take for your body to get used to pumping and the pumping output to increase? Now I only get 1-1.5 ounces after pumping.
    2) What is normal pumping out put? I read on a forum somewhere that you make 1 oz per hour? Is that per breast or total? So after 3 hours, I will pump 3 oz?
    3) How much ebm do I send for my LO during the day at the sitter, she will be there for 7 hours?
    4) How much should I put in each bottle for each feeding?
    5) Does the sitter feed her on the same schedule, every 2-3 hours?
    6) How did you introduce the bottle?
    7) Suggestions for types of bottle? I have medela slow flow bottles, are these good for bf babies?
    8) Should I continue to pump on the same schedule during the weekend to keep my body used to the schedule? Or do your boob "understand" the difference and adjust?

Sorry it is so long. My local LLL meeting "closed" for the summer and I have no bfeeding/pumping moms to ask. They all stopped or ff their babies.

Thanks in advance.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Default Re: Back to work anxiety :o(

Hi! I am not sure how to answer the questions because your lo will be 1 year and i know a lot of moms "pump wean" around that time. I am not sure though since I am not there yet.

Basically you want to think about when/how often your lo nurses during a typical day and give that milk when you are away. Meaning if she nurses around every 3 hours, the pump at those intervals if possible. i would say you definitely dont need to pump as much as you are planning, esp with in the evenings.

At work, I pump at least every 3 hours but my lo is much younger. the year mark is when things can change a bit so hopefully some other moms will chime in.

On weekend I pump once in the am just to make sure i have extra, but again since you are at the 12 month point i think this is unnecessary for you. the baby is much more efficient at getting milk than a pump so do not pump unless you are away from her or need some extra (which I doubt you will).

As for bottles, i wouldnt bother! just give the milk in a sippy cup!

Ok, hope that helps a little. It will be hard to leave your lo but the fact that you are still nursing will make it so nice when you are together.

Oh, i really want to nurse my son when i drop him off in the am but it never works out so dont be upset if she cant focus at the sitters or if you are running late.

COngratulations on nursing your LO so long! And how lucky you are to live in Canada! As with PP, I had to go back to work much earlier and there may be other moms who pumped for 1 YO, but I would say that your pumping schedule sounds fine, and I agree with PP that you don't need to pump extra. Yes, the rule is 1-1.5 oz. per hour total, not per breast, to leave, but I would say in your case only try for 1 oz per hour, so 7 oz. total, because your LO is able to eat other things. When you are pumping now you are pumping in between nursings, and when you go back to work, you will be pumping instead of nursing, so you will have more output. When my LO was eating solids, I had them give the bottles in between the solids meals, but at your LO's age she may be able to have the milk along with her meal. Again, when my LO was 1, I pump weaned and he did not get EBM anymore, but I admire you for wanting to continue giving your LO EBM! If your LO takes a sippy cup well I would not bother with trying to introduce a bottle, either.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Thank you both for your replies. If at 1 yr. most moms pump wean, how do they manage their milk during the day at work, and would the supply really decrease? I guess then you just nurse at home and on the weekends? How does pump weaning work? Do you give the baby cow milk at the sitter instead then? Isn't it good to continue the breastmilk for as long as possible?
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Yes, it is absolutely good to continue the BM for as long as possible, just for me, I had pumped for 7 months by that 1 yr point, and I was DONE with the pump. When I pump weaned I dropped one pumping session and waited and then dropped the others in a few weeks. I had no trouble with supply and continue to nurse my LO when I am not working. I did start giving my son cow's milk at the DC at 1 YO, but there are lots of moms on here who don't do that, and they can give you other options.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

I pump weaned around 13 months -- if you'll still be nursing your little one four times a day, there is no need to supplement with cows milk. just water/juice at the babysitter would be fine if you don't want to start pumping. I personally wouldn't introduce the hassle at a year especially if she's getting plenty of Mama's milk in the morning and at night and on the weekends. If you don't decide to start pumping, you'll find that your supply regulates pretty quickly and that you'll have plenty of milk for her at night and on weekends. you may need to pump for comfort for the first week or two back -- and if you DO decide to pump, the PP covered it!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it