Sorry that this is a long post. I am having serious back to work anxiety. I am lucky to live in Toronto, Canada and have had a full year off with my DD. But now that she is 11 months all I can think about is the fact that she is going to the babysitter in September and I am back to teaching. I want to continue to breastfeed as long as she wants and am really worried about how that is going to go.
I have a whole bunch of questions for the working-breastfeeding moms out there. Here is my plan for september and then I will post my questions and if you have any answers and feedback it will be really, really appreciated.
I will be dropping her off at the sitter around 8 a.m. and plan to nurse her when I get there if she co-operates, and will be picking her up at 3:00 p.m. and will nurse her there when I pick her up. We will have an hour long (traffic permitting) commute each way. My DD loves solids, and eats 3 meals and 2 snacks during the day, and probably drinks 30-60 ml (2-4 ounces) of water during the day from a sippy cup, which will continue at the sitter.
I plan to pump/nurse on this schedule during the week:
6:00 a.m. DD wakes up and nurses
6:30 a.m. while DD eats breakfast after morning feed
8:00 a.m. nurse DD at sitter
11:00a.m. pump at school on my lunch
2:00 p.m. pump at school on my break
3:00 p.m. nurse DD at sitter before drive home
Nurse on cue for rest of night at home.
Pump at 10:30 p.m. and 2:30 a.m. if possible.
Here are my questions:
1) How long does it take for your body to get used to pumping and the pumping output to increase? Now I only get 1-1.5 ounces after pumping.
2) What is normal pumping out put? I read on a forum somewhere that you make 1 oz per hour? Is that per breast or total? So after 3 hours, I will pump 3 oz?
3) How much ebm do I send for my LO during the day at the sitter, she will be there for 7 hours?
4) How much should I put in each bottle for each feeding?
5) Does the sitter feed her on the same schedule, every 2-3 hours?
6) How did you introduce the bottle?
7) Suggestions for types of bottle? I have medela slow flow bottles, are these good for bf babies?
8) Should I continue to pump on the same schedule during the weekend to keep my body used to the schedule? Or do your boob "understand" the difference and adjust?
Sorry it is so long. My local LLL meeting "closed" for the summer and I have no bfeeding/pumping moms to ask. They all stopped or ff their babies.
Thanks in advance.