Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When can I expect to stop leaking?

Default When can I expect to stop leaking?

Hi everyone,

I have been successfully nursing my son for over 9 weeks now and still need to wear nursing pads. I read that most women stop leaking between 6 and 8 weeks, and while my milk volume has regulated itself (I no longer have an OALD or over-supply), I still continue to leak.

I'd like to be able to nurse in public but don't know how to go about removing the pads discretely. I don't want to gross anybody out or make anyone uncomfortable.

Is anyone else out there in the same boat as me that maybe has any tips for NIP? Or has anyone else leaked longer than the 8 week period I read about? I kinda feel like it's only me

Default Re: When can I expect to stop leaking?

I don't have the leaking problem, but I use nursing pads that have tape on them to help them stick to the bra cups. Lansinoh and Tommee Tippee both have them (I like Lansinoh best). Then you don't have to take them out, just fold them down with the cup of your nursing bra.
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

I leaked for like 3 months!
    I also had nursing pads with tape on them. However I found they would get soaked too fast. I would slide my cloth pad up my bra, kinda like a shoulder pad. This wouldn't work in the summer though. I also had to fight with a nipple shield. Nip was not fun. I'm still shocked that I can nurse without a cover now. I relied on it so much in the beginning.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

i got my bra and pad tucked away under my shirt before i would lift it to nurse, but i didnt really care if anyone saw me nursing or knew what i was doing as long as i didnt flash them too much! um....maybe use two pads, and when you are ready to nurse when you undo the clip on the bra just tuck it on top of the pads to kind of hold them in place? i dont know if that makes sense.
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

My nursling is 15 months, and I still leak once in a while. Usually when she has nursed on just one breast and then napped, leaving the other fpm ore full than usual. And I leaked a lot until around 3-4 months. Like, leaking to the point of always needing a pad in my bra. So it's not just you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO is almost 21 months and I still leak sometimes. I dont wear pads anymore unless I know I will be seperated from him for a longer period of time. I leaked like crazy for the first 4 or 5 months though. I would actually leak through the pad!
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

After eight months I still leak throughout the day. This is exactly what I do while we are out:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*connors-mommy View Post
    I don't have the leaking problem, but I use nursing pads that have tape on them to help them stick to the bra cups. Lansinoh and Tommee Tippee both have them (I like Lansinoh best). Then you don't have to take them out, just fold them down with the cup of your nursing bra.

Sorry to say - I still leak at over 8 months! I wear pads 24 hours a day. I now buy them in bulk on amazon.com. I don't remove the pads at all..when I move the flap of my nursing bra, I sort of just shove the pad aside with the flap, and straighten it out when I'm done.

Crap, so there's no end immediately in sight? Thanks everyone for giving me the heads-up (lol!) and for the reassurance that it's not just me.

The nursing pads I use also have that tape on the back, but I've been taking them out all this time while nursing -- I'll try leaving them in and just folding them over like you've suggested.

Thanks again -- everyone on this board is awesome!! If it wasn't for everyone on this board, I think I would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. THANK YOU!!

I stopped leaking around seven or eight months. I think the "leakier" you are, the longer it tends to last, sadly. I also left the pads in and just folded them down into my bra when NIP.

After eight months I would still leak, but only very occasionally. But now that Joe is two, I never leak. Nothing comes out unless I squeeze or Joe nurses.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.