Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing 3.5YO and breasts are suddenly feel VERY sore and full

Question Nursing 3.5YO and breasts are suddenly feel VERY sore and full

DD is 3.5YO and nurses 1-2 times most days. There are days that she doesn't nurse at all. It's been 8-9 months since I've felt full if she missed a nursing session (which is primarily morning and night), for the past week my boobs have been SO SORE. I'm in between ovulation and AF, which is usually a time when they aren't sensitive. There is absolutely no chance that I'm pregnant, since we've taken this month off from TTC to the point of not DTD at. all. Her nursing frequency hasn't changed, so it's not like she's upped my production. She also seems to have a terrible latch lately. Could she just not be removing what little milk I still make? Is it normal for older nurslings to develop a bad latch? I'm totally baffled :headscratch. Has anyone else with an older nursling experienced this?

Default Re: Nursing 3.5YO and breasts are suddenly feel VERY sore and full

When soreness crops up after months of trouble-free nursing, possible culprits are:
    -pregnancy
    -thrush
    -plugged ducts
    -mastitis
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    When soreness crops up after months of trouble-free nursing, possible culprits are:
    -pregnancy
    -thrush
    -plugged ducts
    -mastitis
    Well pregnancy is out. With thrush, does your entire breast hurt or just the areola/nipple? I guess it could be a plugged duct or mastitis. I have been exhausted lately, but I've just chalked that up to eating terribly and not exercising .

why is pregnancy is Out??? is it not at all possible?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

With thrush, you can have pain in just the nipple area, or it can be in the whole breast. I forgot to mention a bacterial infection as another possible cause- but the full feeling you have makes me think the issue is a plugged duct or pregnancy. I know you are all about being pregnant... But if it were me I'd take a test. A lot of women get pregnant and continue to have what appears to be a monthly cycle, so it's possible that you got pregnant last month and then had some bleeding that you mistook for a period...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It'd be a miracle if anything survived last months period. I won't go into detail, but it was bad. We just dtd two days ago, which is the first time since last cycle. The tenderness was already there for a week before we dtd, though . Soreness like this isn't uncommon during ovulation or my period, but right smack in-between it is. So I'm baffled. I guess if it doesn't resolve after my period, I should consider treating for thrush just to be safe.

Default Re: Nursing 3.5YO and breasts are sudden

Interesting…so now my boobs feel normal again. DD took two days off from nursing and when she nursed this morning all was fine. So either I ovulated late and it was hormone related, or it was her bad latch and it resolved itself with a couple days rest. Idk, but thanks for your help ladies! I've been nursing DD for 45 months and I think this is the first time I've had to use the forums for their intended purpose .

Mine hurt sometimes when I'm getting run down or when I'm getting sick. Not cool but...
    Glad your fealing a little bit beter.
    When I'm nurseing I take any breast pain as a good excuse to slow down and rest.

Have you gotten new bras? thoose cann't pinch in new ways..

Oh same thing just happened to me. My 3-year-old had a cold and really picked up nursing. I was getting run down (now I have the cold) and around ovulation time when he picked up nursing more I felt SO full and sore. I got nervous and called sister and mom. They said the same thing happened to them. Now that my son is feeling better they went back to normal. So weird! Glad to know I'm not alone.....
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/