Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk-hind milk and slow weight gain

Default Foremilk-hind milk and slow weight gain

Hi Its my first time posting but have been lurking for a week now. You'd think that being a 4 time mom and bf for various lengths of times I'd have figured every thing out but I haven't.

My current bf baby is my 6mo boy. He is a happy and content baby with no fussiness and no gas. My question though is that he has green poops daily and thats with no green peas or vegs that might be doing it. I've heard about green poops being linked with Foremilk-Hindmilk imbalance and wondering what you all thought. I ask mostly cause his weight gain between his 4mo check and his 6mo check was only 12 oz. I didn't mention to dr that I was worried about weight gain cause all my kids are on the thin side and never weighed alot but the green poo's along with the weight kinda worry me. What do ya all think could he not be getting enough hindmilk and hence he not getting enough fat leading to slow weight gain?

Thanks for any and all replys!
    Last edited by MomO4; November 2nd, 2006 at 11:04 PM.

Default Re: Foremilk-hind milk and slow weight gain

Welcome!

Are the poops *consistantly* green? Are they frothy? Do they contain mucous? Does your baby seem unhappy?

Yes, all of his poops are green and have been for weeks. They don't seem to be frothy or contain mucous at all. He doesn't seem to be unhappy at all and actually has been my best baby. He eats cereal a few times a week and other than that gets all breastmilk, I've tried to give him a bottle of formula but he refuses to even suck on a bottle nipple and just chews on it. I'm just not sure if green poops at 6 mo can be normal or not. haven't seen a yellow one in over a month I would guess, but he did have them when he was a few months old.

Since there is no mucus and the stool isn't frothy, there is certainly less concern that it's abnormal. Green poop can be a variation of normal.

Does he take vitamins? Any other medications? Sometimes vitamins (especially iron) can cause green poops. I suppose it could be possible for iron fortified baby cereal to cause something similar. Here's some info on the many colors of baby poop: http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

If the color of the poop concerns you, please do mention it to your doctor.