Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 Month Old Refusing to Drink Anything When Mom Is Gone

Question 7 Month Old Refusing to Drink Anything When Mom Is Gone

Cross-post from breastfeeding your baby...

I’m breastfeeding my third baby – DS breastfed for 14 months, and ODD, for 18 months, so I’m not new at this. I was working full-time and pumping when ODD was nursing and am doing the same with YDD – I am able to work from home and nurse 2-3 days a week this time around, but that still leaves 2-3 days a week when I am gone for about 10 hours. She’s home with daddy when I’m in the office. I’m the only breadwinner in the family so cutting back hours isn’t possible, and work is over an hour drive from home, so I can’t come home on breaks/lunch to nurse.

YDD has never been jazzed about pumped milk in a bottle and started taking less and less milk from a bottle when she started solids about a month ago. 2-3 weeks ago she started refusing bottles entirely, leaving her drinking nothing all day until I get home to nurse her. Tried different nipples, sippy cups, regular cups, spoon-feeding milk, water, juice… nada. She’ll take some baby food in the morning but gradually gets so worked up during the day (likely because she won’t drink) that she won’t eat or nap – she just screams and wails until I get home, even if that’s hours.

The pediatrician says it’s just a phase, not to worry, just keep trying different things and she’ll cave eventually. I’m out of things to try – I had to take the afternoon off sick and go home to nurse her because she had been screaming for hours.

Any ideas? The ped says it’s a “control issue” but I really want to know there’s nothing medical that could be going on. Anyone else had a baby do this? I’d love for her to take pumped milk again – the ped is suggesting all sorts of juices and even Jello to get liquids in her, but I don’t want to go there with a 7 month-old if I don’t have to. DS and ODD had minor “bottle rebellions” at this age, but they were nothing like this – I’m at a loss!

Default Re: 7 Month Old Refusing to Drink Anything When Mom Is Gone

I'm so sorry! You've already tried almost everything I have to suggest. The only thing I can think of at the moment is breastmilk popsicles. Do you think she might take those?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Have you checked your milk for lipase? And will she drink water? I like the breastmilk popsicle idea. Also, how is she with the solids? Could your DH mix the baby food in the morning with your milk?

My older daughter was the same way. It was so stressful. It sounds like it's really stressful for your DH too.

Has he tried to feed her walking around outside?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you checked your milk for lipase? And will she drink water? I like the breastmilk popsicle idea. Also, how is she with the solids? Could your DH mix the baby food in the morning with your milk?

My older daughter was the same way. It was so stressful. It sounds like it's really stressful for your DH too.

Has he tried to feed her walking around outside?

Control issue Good grief. No, just for some reason, this isn't working for your LO.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!