Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Support/Advice

Default Need Support/Advice

I have a four month old little boy and 5 almost 6 year old twin girls

My dilema is with my son and here's some back ground..
    Birth Weight 8lbs 2oz
    6 Days 8lbs 1oz
    2 Weeks 9lbs 1oz
    1 Month 11lbs 9oz
    2 Months 11lbs 15oz
    4 Months 12lbs 3oz (Today)
    After nursing him in the office 12lbs 6oz

My obvious concern is the 4oz in 2 months heres some background...

My son latched on perfectly from the get go and gained weight beautifully from the begining. At 7 weeks there was blood in his urine and after seeing a urologist and a nephrologist he was diagnosed with a low ph causing him to form uric acid crystals and that possibly one of those cut him and caused the bleeding, since then I constantly see the crystals in his diapers. But have not seen anymore blood.

For the first 3 months he slept from around 8pm to 5am. Now for the last 5 weeks or so he is up constantly from every 1/2 hour to an hour after midnight. He is not a comfort nurser, he doesn't nurse to sleep, doesn't nurse when he's tired.. During the day I feed him when ever he wants from 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours (sometimes longer after his morning feeding) He likes his pacifier and usually when he gets fussy at the end of nursing I give it to him and it comforts him along with him being over my shoulder. When he does seem angry at the boob I manually express milk to make sure it is there and I can still express milk so I'm not sure what his problem is?? My girls could stay on the boob all day and be happy, not him

We cloth diaper and he isn't a heavy wetter but I feel that they are some what wet (today I switched to a different cloth to hopefully get a better idea on how wet they are)

I feel that the blood in his urine caused me some stress and maybe affected my supply??? The dr said NOTHING about my breastfeeding him or anything, he said I could give him some cereal to help him sleep longer at night.

So here are my questions/concerns..
    1. How do I know if I have a supply issue? I would think with a 3oz weight gain after feeding him that it is not that???
    2. How do I get him to nurse more?
    3. Should I get rid of the pacifier?
    4.Do I feed him cereal?

Thanks!!!!

Default Re: Need Support/Advice

Welcome! Looking at this chart for breastfed baby boys: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html I am thinking that your baby was born on the smaller side, shot up in his first few weeks and then kind of fell back to a percentile roughly equivalent to the one he was born at. It's not necessarily a growth curve that indicates any sort of problem. Babies follow very individual curves, and as long as a baby appears happy and healthy and continues to grow, there's no reason to worry just because the baby doesn't follow the "ideal" curve on the chart.

If your baby is typically taking in around 3 oz at a feeding, I think there's no reason to be concerned about your supply or about your baby's feeding frequency (which sounds very normal, BTW). However, I have to wonder about those urate crystals. IIRC, they can be a sign of inadequate fluid intake, and therefore my gut feeling is that you might want to play this one on the safe side and get a rental professional baby scale, and collect several days worth of data on your baby's intake during nursing sessions by doing weigh-feed-weigh tests. I don't know one single thing about low pH, so maybe I am totally out to lunch here...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This lady co-wrote the breast feeding book that LLL Leaders use as a go to for questions. You may be able to find your answer there.

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/

And about the cereal, studies say it will not help the baby sleep. It may put him to sleep, but so will nursing. The offical LLL stance is •For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
    http://www.llli.org/philosophy.html?m=1,0,1
    ps: If you want to help him gain weight faster so you don't worry you can have him comfort nurse, which would mean getting rid of the paci. However there are alot of happy healthy babies out there with pacis.
    Last edited by @llli*codepink; July 28th, 2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Missed something
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Oh and
    Were you able to nurse your girls? It can be hard to judge normal weight gain when you are comparing the two different forms of feeding. Also boys and girls grow different. I hope I'm not assuming too much.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!