Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 weeker eating <1.5 oz per sitting. Increase supply?

Default 4 weeker eating <1.5 oz per sitting. Increase supply?

I just returned from BF support group. Looks like DS is eating less than an ounce and a half at a sitting. I think at this age he should be eating closer to 2oz or more.

He also eats ALL.THE.TIME... which is normal, I know. But if he were eating more per sitting then he could go longer between session, right?

So my question is, how do I increase my supply to provide him with more milk per sitting? Is this even possible? The nurse I spoke to recommended pumping after each meal, but I know this is often discouraged.

Recommendations?

Default Re: 4 weeker eating <1.5 oz per sitting. Increase supply?

How do you know he's only eating 1.5 oz at a time? Did you do a weigh-feed-weigh test? If so, one test is not enough data to draw a conclusion. You need at least a full day's data.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*md.eventer View Post
    He also eats ALL.THE.TIME... which is normal, I know. But if he were eating more per sitting then he could go longer between session, right?

?
    Not necessarially. I have to bottlefeed my fourth baby, a cleft baby, and I would have thought he would go longer, because he took about 2 oz a feeding at a month of age, but nope. He still wanted to eat every 1-2 hours. At 6 months, he still only takes 4 oz every 2-3 hours around the clock. That's just how some babies are. I've had both ends of the spectrum. A couple ate all.the.time and a couple couldn't be made to eat before they were ready
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My general rule is if its not broke, don't fix it!
    Is your lo losing weight? Is your lo colicky? Are you getting not enough wet diapers?
    If you answered yes to any of the above you may have a problem. Other then that you can probably relax. Every baby is different and comparing them in a small group can just make you nervous.
    Congrats on your new baby! It gets a whole lot easier!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!