Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning 22 month old

Default Weaning 22 month old

I got a job offer and am finally returning to work after being laid off for 2+ years.
    My DS is 22 months and very healthy. We have been working on weaning for sometime now, but now have to speed up the process. I have a few questions.
    Nurses at naptime, bedtime and 1 or 2 times at night and early morning.

Will I have a "let down" at naptime while I'm at work or is it not noticeble when nursing a toddler? I think/hope he will be able to fall asleep on a cot at daycare. He really does not want you to pat his back or rub it. I am nervous about this aspect.
    You can find me

DS born 9/2009

Default Re: Weaning 22 month old

Since you're not nursing that much, I am guessing that you probably won't get any spontaneous letdowns during the day. But that's just a guess. It really depends on you as an individual. Some moms leak more, some less. If you're concerned, I'd wear some pads for the first few days, as a precaution.

Any reason why you feel the need to wean completely? I mean, you can just drop the nap time session and continue on with the others, if that works for you.

ETA: congrats on the job! I hope it's a good one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son is 19 months and I nurse him all weekend long, several times a day. When i'm at work I don't notice a significant let down anymore. I think i may have initially when i pump weaned, but your body adjusts pretty quickly to what baby needs. And you'll still have plenty of milk even though you're not nursing during the day - is that why you're thinking of weaning? Congrats on the job!!!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Since I am concerned about him picking up any new bugs, I will still probably nurse at night. My goal is to work on getting rid of the nurse to nap. I have no A/C in my car, so car-rides are out of the question for naptime.
    You can find me

DS born 9/2009

Have you tried having your partner putting him down for naps with a cup of milk?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    My son is 19 months and I nurse him all weekend long, several times a day. When i'm at work I don't notice a significant let down anymore. I think i may have initially when i pump weaned, but your body adjusts pretty quickly to what baby needs. And you'll still have plenty of milk even though you're not nursing during the day - is that why you're thinking of weaning? Congrats on the job!!!
    This is me too. Joe is now 27 months, and rarely nurses during the day, but when he does, still seems satisfied that there is milk there. It's kind of magic.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I tried to put him down this afternoon, I think I got a 10min nap and he played. finally fell asleep at 3pm, I rocked him and then laid him down. Found out I do not start until 8/16 so I have some time to work on this nap schedule.

I do have some nursing pads to wear to work.
    You can find me

DS born 9/2009

I started an new job during the day when my son was that old it was just part time. So on the days am home I will still nurse before nap but when I am not there who ever watches him has no problem getting him to lie down. At this age I think they realize no momma= no nursing. I also have a night job two nights a week and its the same thing if I am home he will nurse if not he's fine without it. So you might trying leaving a couple of times before naptime and see if someone else is able to get him down. I know if I am home unless I wear my LO out he won't lay down for me without nursing but like I said for other people he does great. Hope your LO is the same.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

Thanks for the reassurance romeroke. I have nursed him to sleep a few times last week, esp when I needed to shower. yesterday he fell asleep in the car around 11am and I was able to lay him in his bed. But he was ready for night night at 730pm.

Do you mammas have any ideas for phrases to tell him? I was saying "all gone" but that seems confusing because he still gets some at night. I keep talking to him about going to school and not having any "mama ma" at naptime.
    You can find me

DS born 9/2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*slmusicqueen View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance romeroke. I have nursed him to sleep a few times last week, esp when I needed to shower. yesterday he fell asleep in the car around 11am and I was able to lay him in his bed. But he was ready for night night at 730pm.

Do you mammas have any ideas for phrases to tell him? I was saying "all gone" but that seems confusing because he still gets some at night. I keep talking to him about going to school and not having any "mama ma" at naptime.
    Sometimes I tell my son that the milkies are sleeping or taking a nap. Or I'll say you can have milkies in an x amount of minutes and sometimes after those minutes have passed he's forgotton about it. I also just try offering a snack if he asks to nurse.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold