Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So fussy while eating!

Default So fussy while eating!

My 6wk LO has been SO fussy while eating...the times he has had a bottle (either formula or BM), he has been fine, but when I nurse him, he is constantly fussing. He cries while eating - makes fussing noises while sucking and swallowing, and keeps pulling off. It does not seem to have a pattern - it happens at all times - during letdown, or when he has to suck harder to get the milk. Eventually he gets so fussy that he just SCREAMS and is inconsolable. I (or DH) comfort him until he stops crying. Then he roots around and I offer him my breast and he screams again. Eventually he cries so hard he wears himself out and is no longer interested in eating. I don't know what to do...I want to breastfeed him, but this has been going on for weeks.

I EP for the first 2 weeks, and we never had this problem...it has just been this last month of nursing that is driving me crazy! I don't know what to do. DH is supportive of whatever I choose...and I know my BM is the best for him, but I can't stay sane and EP, and nursing doesn't seem to please him. I don't think it's nipple confusion, because I have had to give him 2 bottles since starting nursing, and he doesn't seem to like the bottle nipple as much (face scrunches up, etc)

Any suggestions?

Default Re: So fussy while eating!

What about different times of day?

It doesn't seem to matter time of day...it happens in the morning, afternoon, evening, and middle of the night. I should add he has plenty of wet and dirty diapers, although he has been having several green stools as of late. His weight gain is fine....born at 6.11 and is 10.8 now.

I was just reading your previous posts. Do you still think you have an oversupply and have you tried the blockfeeding?

Is there a history of allergies in either your's or your partner's family? Some times it can be as far removed as cousins with allergies.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

My daughter does this when she needs to burp-which is A LOT more often than I thought a BF'd baby would need.

sounds like OALD or gas....
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

"I was just reading your previous posts. Do you still think you have an oversupply and have you tried the blockfeeding? "

I have tried the blockfeeding...I don't feel like I have too much of an oversupply anymore. However, lately, when he is fussy...a lot of times he won't nurse again on the same side that he was just on 5 minutes ago, and will only feed on the other side. This happens even if he was only sucking on the first side for less than 5 minutes, and I know it still has a lot of milk in it.

"Is there a history of allergies in either your's or your partner's family? Some times it can be as far removed as cousins with allergies."

My husband is lactose intolerant and my mom said that when I was a baby I was also allergic to dairy. (I grew out of it though) Because of this, in the last few weeks I have mostly cut out dairy - not completely though. I still have the slice of cheese on my burger or sandwich, or mayo, or a chocolate chip cookie here and there.

"My daughter does this when she needs to burp-which is A LOT more often than I thought a BF'd baby would need."

He does need to burp pretty often...but even when he does burp, he still screams inconsolably.

"sounds like OALD or gas.... "

I do think I have OALD, as sometimes he pulls off because the milk is coming too fast and it sprays him in the face then. However, he has never cried at this point. He just waits a minute (while I collect the milk in a towel or burp cloth) and goes back to eating. The fussiness usually does not start until a few minutes into the eating. He IS very gassy...sometimes I don't know how his little body can have so much gas in it! A lot of times he just starts loudly grunting as if he is pushing real hard, and when he is unsuccessful he cries. I then pump his legs and help him get his gas out. A lot of times when feeding, though, he is not bringing his legs up to his belly, so I didn't think it was gas then? I am unsure.

The thing with dairy is it has to be a complete elimination because the protein (or the Ig reaction to the protein) can stay in your system for as long as 14 days! Just try it for a month, then you can cross it off your check list.
    drs usually do not recommend this because no one can explain why the allergen passes through the mom.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

My LO does this too, she is 10 weeks and started to do this about 2 weeks ago. She has more than enough wet/dirty diapers. Although she only does it during the day. At night after 3-5 hrs sleep she wakes up extremely hungry. Then will continue to eat throughout out the night every 1-2 hrs. During the day when I try to BF her she will nurse about every 3 hrs for about 5 minutes then gets fussy or will start out fussy, it's like she wants it but then pulls away and cries. She stops crying and calms down when I carry her upright facing out. So I've just assumed she's not hungry and I'll then wait an hour or so, and try again. I've tried changing positions, sometimes it helps. Also I've read that you should try swaddling them. Just now I tried to BF and she was getting fussy, I covered her with a blanket and she calmed down and ate fine and fell asleep.