Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what happened to my milk??

Default Re: what happened to my milk??

Hi Smidgin and Wecome,

You may have seen me post this elsewhere, but babies are infinitely better at removing milk from the breast than pumps are. If your baby is nursing well and gaining well, there is no need to worry about pump output. How are your son's wet/poopy diapers? A healthy breastfed baby should have 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 really wet disposables) and anywhere from 2-5 bms per day. Sometimes babies your son's age have fewer bms per day, but volume is important. If he is only pooping every day or two, they should be big ones.

Sometimes infant cereals can decrease a baby's appetite for breastmilk. This is because cereal is not digested quickly, and can make baby feel full longer. Many moms find that foods that are more nutrient dense and easily digested are a better fit for their breastfed babies. These include mashed banana, avocado, and sweet potatoes.

I hope that helps. Let me know!

Tiana

My son is wearing cloth diapers & they are very wet every time I change them & usually poopy. I am also feeding him rice cereal once a day, but sometimes he gets very irritable when I am feeding him & has to grab the spoon every time before it reaches his mouth, so I am not sure how much actually makes it to his stomach. He seems pretty happy most of the time, other than the teething issues, so I guess I shouldn't worry. I tend to worry about all of the little things being a first time mom & so in love with my perfect little boy. The weird thing is my breasts are feeling engourged constantly lately & I would normally relieve that by pumping, but now nothing works, even when my son nurses for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by smidgin View Post
    I tend to worry about all of the little things being a first time mom & so in love with my perfect little boy.
    Totally Understandable! I think we've all been there at some point!

The weird thing is my breasts are feeling engourged constantly lately & I would normally relieve that by pumping, but now nothing works, even when my son nurses for a while.
    Do your breasts hurt? Do you have hard, swollen, or tender spots? Do you have a fever? Are your nipples sore?

Have you tried hand expressing in a warm shower?

I'm just trying to figure out what might be causing the problem. If your son's diaper output is good, then his latch is probably good and he is getting plenty of milk. It actually sounds like you might have an oversupply issue, but I'm not sure yet. I'll be looking into this for you. In the meantime, do get back to me on those questions, okay? Thanks !

Hang in There,

Tiana

They are sensitive, but I wouldn't say they actually hurt. No spots, tender nipples or fever either.

That leads me to believe that it might be oversupply. Do you have any other symptoms?: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

A lot of those sound familiar. Thank you so much for looking into that for me. I didn't realize an oversupply could be the cause of so many problems. I just figured I could pump any extra & it would be fine. I wasn't concerned until pumping started becoming difficult. I didn't realize that could be why he seems to get angry & pull back sometimes during feedings! Thank you again!

You're welcome!

Have you checked out the "Too Much Milk" forum?

Tiana

Not yet, I'll have to check that out!