Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what happened to my milk??

Unhappy what happened to my milk??

first off, we tried breastfeeding at the breast, but it eventually didn't work out, so i've been pumping & storing my milk in the fridge & bottle feeding it to him. i haven't had any problems with my milk supply... until yesterday {for the record, my baby will be 3 weeks old on saturday}. i'm drinking as much water as i possibly can, & i thought i was eating enough, but i'm really getting worried that my supply has, for one reason or another, started to dry up. i've been pumping every two to three hours {when the baby eats}, and it seems the more i pump, the less i'm getting. my doctor told me i could try fenugreek & a tea called mother's milk {i believe} to help increase my supply. is there anything else i should try & do. i really don't want to put our baby on formula, but if we have to, we have to. and exactly what foods should i be eating to get the required calories i need?? if anyone has any friendly advice, please let me know.

Default Re: what happened to my milk??

I am also having problems with milk supply and pumping. Do you have a good pump? if the quality of the pump is bad then it can effect your milk. Stress also is a big factor. The more I stress about my milk output the less I seem to have. And if I am not sleeping enough.

I just eat lots of healthy foods, this means when I am shopping I only purchase things from the outer walls of the grocery store. Think about it....just dairy, meat, bread and produce...(I am a health nut!) you should also still be taking prenatal vitamins.

also I found that if I slept too long without pumping and without eating my milk supply was less. I now get up withhis first feeding at 5 am and pump and also eat breakfast. THen I get back into bed with him! the added calories spread out over the day helped me.

and just so you know, my doctor recommended the tea and the Fenugreek as well, I just started taking them, so we will see.

Just relax and keep your baby close. My little guy always makes me feel better. So when I stress out, we nap together. I hope you get the advice/support you need! Good Luck
    Last edited by Hollymac; November 2nd, 2006 at 11:40 PM.

Hi ,

As long as you are eating nutritious foods when you are hungry, and drinking to thirst, your diet is probably not causing your supply issue.

Your baby is still very young. In most cases, it would be possible to teach your baby to nurse from the breast. Babies are much better at removing milk than pumps are.

That being said, you really need a hospital grade pump if you are going to pump exclusively, and you will probably also want to consider increasing the frequency of your pumping. Are you pumping at night? If you doctor thinks fenugreek and mother's milk tea would be right for you, you could certainly give it a try. Many moms have found them to be helpful in increasing milk supply.

Hang in there,

Tiana

i have the medela pump in style breast pump we bought from the hospital. the reason i stopped nursing at the breast was because he was 3 1/2 weeks early & had a hard time latching on, and two days out of the hospital, we were right back in because his jaundice had gotten really bad & was dehydrated, which scared us really bad! so i just started pumping exclusively just to make sure we knew how much milk he was getting. i want to go back to nursing, but i'm really afraid to. i was told i couldn't have a lot of dairy because it will make him gassy. i've been pumping at night time too either before or after he eats, and it just seems like i'm not getting enough out. i've found that if i wait 4 hours between pumping, i can get more out {around 4 oz instead of the 2 or 2 1/2 when i pump every two to three hours}. i know i need to not get stressed, but it's so hard because i really don't want to put him on formula. thanks so much, and i'll keep both advice's in my mind

Hi Everyone! I am in the same boat. My baby is 6 1/2 weeks old, and all of the sudden... it is like where has my milk gone? He nurses, but seems to be still hungry after our normal nursing time. He seems unsatisfied and sometimes lets out an "angry" scream, like he is mad that he is not getting anything. I Just went for my 6 week check up on Tuesday and was put on the mini-pill. I was assured that would not hurt my milk supply. I have tried pumping as well with a hospital grade pump. The left side i can get a little out, but my right side, just drips out. I do not know what is going on. I still feel the let down reflex. I can tell you that working with the pediatrician, we have him feeding every 3 hours, but at night he will go 5 hours. ( My ped said this was fine because he has gained plenty of weight).
    Should I start suplementing with formula? Mix the 2 together? I am supposed to go to a dinner party tonight. Normally, pumping 4 oz's and feeding him would be no problem... but now its a 1/2 oz there, a 1/2 oz here and I and baby are getting frustrated! What would cause the depleation in my supply?

Ryleebear, Congratulations on your baby. Sorry that you are having a hard time. You could also try oatmeal. My supply also tends to be low and eating oatmeal seems to help. You said your baby was early? Babies have an easier time latching on as they mature. It`s definitely worth trying, b/c they are far better at removing milk than pumps are, not to mention that to be close to lo makes us feel relaxed. As long as baby has enough dirty/wet diapers during the day all is well. (it is 5-6 soaking wet and 2-3 poopy disposables)

BabyGlennsMommy, Congratulations to you too
    It sounds like a growth spurt to me. There is one at around six weeks and babies eat MUCH more often than usual. My baby nursed non-sop (and sometimes still does ). Just watch your baby and let him nurse as long as he wants because that will build up your supply to match his needs. It is supply and demand, so the more he nurses the more your body will make.
    You could also try the other methods mentioned in this thread. However, you need to ask your dr before taking herbs or any meds.
    Keep up the good work, you are doing great

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Ryleebear~ Well, some babies are sensitive to dairy products in their mother's diet, but not all. I would not assume it to be a problem unless your baby has fussiness, green poo, or other colicky symptoms. Besides, dairy in your diet would bother him regardless of whether the milk came directly from you or if you pump and feed him in a bottle. And virtually all formulas are based on cow's milk. I would really encourage you to try nursing him from the breast again. Do you have a LLL leader in your area? She could be a big help to you in fixing baby's latch problems.

As to pumping intervals, part of why I recommended increasing the number of times you pump per day is that the very act of pumping increases your milk supply...even if you don't get much milk from the pump.

Hang in there, mama. You can do it.

Tiana

BabyGlennsMommy,

I totally agree with foreverhomeless. It definitely sounds like a growth spurt to me. Your milk is not gone! Rather, your baby is nursing like a champ to build up your milk supply to keep up with his growing appetite. As long as he is gaining weight and having plenty of wet/poopy diapers, all is well. Absolutely no need for formula .

And there's nothing sacred about any particular feeding schedule. It all depends upon you and your baby. Some babies are satisfied with 3 or even 4 hours between nursing sessions...others nurse ever hour on the hour for months. Again, as long as babies are thriving, everything is okay. It's whatever works best to get your baby enough to eat.

HTH,

Tiana

Question Re: what happened to my milk??

I have been noticing a decrease in my supply when I pump as well. It makes me concerned as to whether or not he is getting enough when he nurses. The things that I am confused by is my breasts will feel full, but when I pump hardly anything comes out. This has just been recently so I haven't been able to see a difference in my sons growth. So far he has been growing extremely fast, last dr appointment he was 75% for his weight, when he was born he was 15%. He is 4 months & 10 days now & teething, which seems to make him a little more reluctant to nurse at times & I just recently started him on cereal once a day. I want to continue nursing until he is a year so I am a little concerned about my supply decreasing. Where can I find that tea? I live in a small city, so our stores are limited. Anyway I just wanted a little advice, thanks!

Unhappy Re: what happened to my milk??

Over the past two weeks my 13 week old has had less of an appetite. She weighed 9'10 on 10-24 and was the same height and weight last week (exactly 2 weeks later). Now suddenly my milk won't come in. She gets frustrated and won't suck long enough to get it down. When it does come in (while pumping) I can barely get an oz. She is obviously hungry and I think becoming dehydrated. What do I do? I know I can try to increase my supply but I've read that can take a few days. I'm afraid we need to give her formula or atleast water. This is not just a growth spurt. How long will it take to get more milk? Can she wait that long? I know my stress about it is only making things worse, but I'm worried she's not getting enough.