Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is he weaning?

Default Is he weaning?

I am not sure what is going on, but if anyone has some advice, experience, etc - I would appreciate the help. DS is 10 months, until the past 1 1/2 - 2 weeks, he was nursing like a champ, 3-4x/day during the week and 7-9 times on the weekend - eating solids 1-2 times/day and so on so forth. Now, I can barely get him to latch on, I thought it was a phase at first - him not nursing as long, popping off frequently, wanting to just go and play. I noticed that my pumping output at work has "tanked", as I am only getting about 4-6 ounces over 3 sessions/day (yesterday was only 3, today was just over 4) when I used to pump 20-25 ounces/day over 3 sessions. DS would nurse first thing in the morning, when I get home from work, occasionally after bathtime and then once in the middle of the night. Starting Sunday, I would sit-down to nurse him, he would latch on, suck a few times, then let go. Tried again, same thing. Tried again, same thing and he then started screaming, so I didn't force it again and he happily played. This process has repeated itself at almost every session since then (I didn't wait for the screaming/crying part again) with last night being the kicker as he would latch on once, then let go and went about playing happily until bedtime (that is until he bonked his head from falling over trying to walk - boy was he mad!!).

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and I am at a complete loss. We have tried every possible position, location (even on the front porch swing), I have tried compressions thinking he was not happy with the slower flow, toys to keep him occupied, etc - he is just not interested. He did cut 3 new teeth after this all started and has one more (this will make 8) working down as I can see it. He will take my milk in a bottle, so I am sure that it is not the taste of the milk that is the issue. He has taken to solids very well, eating about 2 - 3 meals/day of solids. I am at a loss as to what to do anymore. I really want to make it at least 1 year of breastfeeding, but I am not seeing that happening with the way things are going. I thought it was a phase at first, now I think it is pretty much a strike - but wondering if he is trying to wean himself. I know that infants do not typically wean before a year, but I am beginning to wonder if this is it.
    He had a doctors appointment on the 11th of July, his checked out just fine (75% weight, 95% in height and head circumference - oh yeah!!!), I had the dr double check his ears since I knew he was getting ready to cut teeth and she said they really did look great. Any ideas ladies???

Default Re: Is he weaning?

I would quit giving him bottles when you are home.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Is there any chance you could be pregnant? That will often cause a reduction in supply that isn't explained any other way.

Another common cause of strikes is an ear infection or sore throat. The only time I had a nursing strike (around 11 months), I was dismayed and guilty to find out, days later, that poor Joe had an ear infection. He was willing to take a bottle, but the suction of nursing hurt him. Ugh. I felt terrible. So if you see any other symptoms of a cold or a low fever, I would suggest you get him checked to rule that out. (I know you had him seen pretty recently, but you never know.)

10 months is a notoriously distractible time, when many moms start to wonder if their baby is weaning. Strikes are common. There are a few mamas here who have survived LONG nursing strikes around this time. Usually if it's a nursing strike, the baby will nurse when very tired, sleepy, or in the middle of the night (although that's not always the case).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

JoMo, no chance at preggers - first thing I checked (easy to get the blood test since I work for his drs office). No other symptoms of cold/ears/etc. - but I might have him check at the end of the week if there is no change. I told my DH that I was just going to tough it out to see if he would start again - but that was a week ago (figured last weekend with free access to the boob 24 hrs/day would solve it - but it got worse) and there has been no change - I am trying so hard not to get in the "weaning" state of mind. mommy2lilah - we have been trying to stay away from bottles when possible - but if he will not stay latched on, what am I supposed to do? thanks for the replies ladies, I really appreciate it.

What if you gave him milk in a sippy cup? That might be less satisfying, and encourage him back to the breast ...? It couldn't hurt.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I don't know. It really sounds like it's due to the teething. Are you able to pump enough on the weekend days when you're with him?

I think the sippy cup idea is a good one. I've never had to deal with a nursing strike, hopefully someone who has will come along.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I did try that this week, he liked it, didn't drink alot - but it was something. He actually preferred it cold - probably since it is so blazing hot here.

sixyearplan - tried that also, in front of a fan even - didn't make a difference - except that he is able to crawl away from me and not flipover off of my lap.
    mommytolilah - I have never had to pump on the weekends, but will give it a go this weekend. I really thought it was due to teething also - but I figured after he cut those three (which seemed like no big deal - especially after the two front - they were a nightmare for him and us) he was good. So I am starting to doubt myself - which I really don't want to do! *sigh*

He is not a comfort nurser either - he sucks his thumb. We also don't use pacifiers, he really never would take one and I was afraid it would interfere with nursing at first, I also never wanted to try and break a pacifier habit when he was older - so I strongly discouraged it. We have been doing the sippy cup thing - my pumping output is very poor for some reason, but I am going to try and pump/powerpump this weekend and see if that helps. Will try the bathtub tonight - keeping my fingers crossed! thank you sixyearplan!

Not recently (about 2 months ago - new everything for the pump actually) - I have some other ones at home I will change them out tonight. No real increase in stress recently that I have noticed, but I suppose it could be. I will say that he is a fantastic sleeper 8pm to 5am most nights, sometimes 6am. It works out wonderfully with DH and my schedules.