Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mamas that have taken domperidone to help with nursing a toddler...

Unhappy Mamas that have taken domperidone to help with nursing a toddler...

Did/Does domperidone work *consistently* for you? At 30mg 3x/day?

I started taking it 3 months ago. My thread here. It worked wonderfully (or so it seems) and I went through 2 cycles without the annoying no-milk weeks. But this month for some reason it doesn't seem to work so well. I had days of making mere drops about 3 weeks ago, then my supply seemed to go back up (I upped the domp dose for 1 day and pumped and power pumped for a few days), and now starting a few days ago it went wayyyyy down again, with the same nursing frequency (8-10x/day). My period is about 10 days overdue and I've POSed twice but got a negative both times. I will keep testing (but I'm almost certain I'm NOT PG).

Because of my 21MO's personality (low milk --> less nursing --> even lower milk --> even less nursing, etc.) I feel like if I stopped trying to boost my supply she'd wean right now. I do NOT want to at this point, given that we have a lot of traveling/moving ahead and are looking to start her in nursery school towards the end of this year. Plus my goal was *at least* 2 years .

But I'm sooo tired of pumping and power pumping. Any ideas what I should do? Thanks so much.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Default Re: Mamas that have taken domperidone to help with nursing a toddler...

Oh geez.....that is interesting

Have you had a full hormone panel taken? Or have you noticed any symptoms that may be due to increased hormone activity? **edited** I just say your period is late, that can be related to an increase in estrogen levels, I'm not sure about progesterone...but it is all so interrelated with breastfeeding I would want to rule it out. And of course you know your body better than me, but these are just suggestions from someone who doesn't know you! I hope you're not offended.

Also, have you recently had your thyroid checked?

Those are two issues with milk supply when nursing a toddler.

I'm sure other people have better advice, but those two things popped in my head and I just thought I'd let you know. My estrogen has increased recently and I've noticed my supply is lower.....
    Last edited by @llli*jlynne; July 27th, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/

Thanks for your responses/suggestions. I don't think I can take any medication actionright now since I don't have insurance anymore - we're moving out of the country in about a month.

Jlynne - I don't see why I should be offended by your thoughts/suggestions. Thank you.
    Sixyearplan - If you were me you would up the dose? I feel like doing just that (and actually did it once) but I fear it'd be like playing with my body/hormones...

I'm going to try and email Dr. Newman tonight to see if he has anything to say...

Should I give up?? I'm so tired.

Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

No, I don't think you should give up, but if you're really stressed out about it that could also be changing your hormones way more than you even realize.

Try to relax and just appreciate the time when you are breastfeeding and not worrying if you're getting enough milk. You're doing a great job.

Oh, and I'd avoid products containing soy and anything that may even minutely fluctuate your delicate balance of BF hormones (can't hurt!)

Could it be the cold I just had? The low supply seemed to start then. (The first low supply spell of this cycle *seemed* to start with my DD slowly coming down with a cold and nursing less. But I seriously don't know which led to which - my low supply or DD nursing less.) But it wasn't a serious cold - I just had a bad runny nose - and I didn't take any medications, just echinacea tea and extra vit C.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    In your situation, I personally would up the dose. But that is me. I base that on knowing that Dr Newman has stated the max dose is 160 mg a day (that's the right max amount isn't it?) and you aren't there yet. And nursing is something you want to continue doing.
    Yes the max dose according to Dr. Newman is 160mg a day. As said in OP I tried that for one day, woke up with a dried mouth and headache, which I know are side effects of domp, and did see my supply shoot back up. So I wonder if my body gets "used" and "resistant" (I can't find the word - ESL speaker) to the 90mg/day dose and now needs a higher dose??

But as said in Thomas Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk

The galactagogue dose is suggested to be 10-20mg orally 3-4 times daily. (...) Dosage higher than this should be avoided in breastfeeding mothers.
    But I think I'll do it... My heart says just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jlynne View Post
    No, I don't think you should give up, but if you're really stressed out about it that could also be changing your hormones way more than you even realize.

Try to relax and just appreciate the time when you are breastfeeding and not worrying if you're getting enough milk. You're doing a great job.

Oh, and I'd avoid products containing soy and anything that may even minutely fluctuate your delicate balance of BF hormones (can't hurt!)
    I know the bold is sensible. I try to do that, too. But I can't help fearing - based on what know about my daughter - that she'd wean VERY soon if I stopped doing things.

The only soy product I use is soy sauce. But I've always been using it without problem

Thanks so much for the support and encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    Could it be the cold I just had? The low supply seemed to start then.
    The only soy product I use is soy sauce. But I've always been using it without problem

Thanks so much for the support and encouragement.
    Yeah, being sick actually changes hormone levels. Every time I get a cold or flu since I started breastfeeding three years ago (which isn't that often) I get spotting . I even went to the gyno and he told me it was from nursing homones being so sensitive and getting sick can throw them just enough out of whack. You might just be sensitive.

haha Ya, I agree, I don't think soy sauce is the culprit.

I definitely think it is worth demanding a full hormone blood panel and thyroid check, though.

Oh, just throwing this out there- are you getting enough vitamin D3?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jlynne View Post
    Yeah, being sick actually changes hormone levels. Every time I get a cold or flu since I started breastfeeding three years ago (which isn't that often) I get spotting . I even went to the gyno and he told me it was from nursing homones being so sensitive and getting sick can throw them just enough out of whack. You might just be sensitive.

haha Ya, I agree, I don't think soy sauce is the culprit.

I definitely think it is worth demanding a full hormone blood panel and thyroid check, though.

Oh, just throwing this out there- are you getting enough vitamin D3?
    Wow! The nursing hormones are THAT sensitive?

I've been taking 5000IU of vit D3 daily for almost a year now. I know I need to have it checked. I need a thorough checkup. But I really can't do it right now.

Yeah, I guess in some people they are! I was a little surprised by that myself. My doctor was also saying since estrogen is stored in your fat cells too little or too much can throw you off.

Oh, and about the D3, they are currently doing a study on it from their findings in rats....hmm I'll find the article if you want, but I know I'm getting waay off topic here....
    Anyway, the theory is there is a percentage of the population when supplementing with oil based D3 can interfere with your pituitary gland and TSH levels...making some people hypo and some hyper. And just anything that has an impact on the pituitary gland is something I think to notice during breastfeeding.
    I know people say that it is almost impossible to OD on D3, but with oil based vitamins it is definitely possible! I did, with only 2000ius a day, my levels were off the chart. So, it is worth getting them tested, I think they even have home testing especially if you don't know if your initial levels were normal or not.

Of course....these are all guesses! If you can't get to the doctor right away and you want to try more than changing your levels of domperidone it is worth a shot to reduce you D3 intake, it takes a while to get out of your body. Well, that is just my opinion.

I still think the most important thing for you to do is relax. I know not worrying is almost impossible, but you are clearly doing a wonderful job. It is hard for me to not worry and it is nice to hear other people once and awhile say "relax, everything is going to be okay" so that is what I want to say to you.