Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Was engorged, now really sore on one side...leftover clogs? It hurts!

Default Was engorged, now really sore on one side...leftover clogs? It hurts!

Hi everyone. Somehow last night, my DD didn't drain my left side very well and I ended up engorged and she didn't drain it well this morning either during her morning feed. So I've been having her feed from this side more today to help. The left breast isn't hard or hot, it just constantly aches and it's especially painful under my arm and on the side. I may be feeling some lumps but they are pretty small, like orange seed size or smaller. It definitely hurts to push on that sore area. I also am getting a prickly pain around and thru the nipple area on and off too (but just today). It's weird.

What do you all recommend for the soreness? Heat? Ice? Motrin? Is this a clogged duct(s) issue? This left side is my "worst" side - nursing doesn't go as well from that side generally (maybe it's a dominant side issue as I'm right handed), it gets engorged more often and when I pump occasionally, I always have more milk than the other side.

I don't have a fever and the breast isn't hard - dd just got through nursing from that side for about 20 minutes and I thought it would feel better, but it does not! Help!

Thanks,
    Amy (7 week old dd)

Default Re: Was engorged, now really sore on one side...leftover clogs? It hurts!

Maybe this should be moved to infant Bf issues? I forget that my dd isn't quite a nb anymore - she's 7 weeks.... I feel like she was just born.

Default Re: Was engorged, now really sore on one side...leftover clogs? It hurts!

Nah, you're fine! 7 weeks is plenty new I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this. Here's a link to an article that tells you how to deal with different types of breast pain:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!