Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing pads sticking to me

Default nursing pads sticking to me

I have been using washable and disposable nursing pads and both stick to my nipples. Pulling them off irritates the alot. Am I doning something wrong?

I have tried to not wear a bra but my left nipple is senstive to fabric (or anything) touching it.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: nursing pads sticking to me

You might want to try washable cotton pads ... they never stuck to me. And maybe using a little nipple cream would help?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I had the same problem with nursing pads that stuck and hurt to pull off. With my son, I used Soothies. They're gel pads with an absorbing layer on the back. The gel part goes against your nipples and it felt so cool and soothing on my raw nipples. I think they sell them at CVS.
    Have you tried lanolin?
    I have really big, heavy breasts and it's too painful to go braless. I did fall in love with the bra tanks. You can just pull it up to nurse. I wore these only at home, but with a newborn I didn't leave the house much anyway!!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by SouthernSAHM; October 29th, 2006 at 01:24 PM.

I use cotton ones and I've found that if I let my nipples dry for a before closing my bra it help a lot with the sticking.

Try taking some "Lansinoh" cream, (excellent nipple cream!), and in advance, take some and smear it on the nursing pads (I used disposable), then put them in the freezer and have a few on hand ready to use. They do not stick to your nipple, and they have a very 'healing' affect, I used them all the time in the beginning and loved it! And this cream is not harmful to the baby at all.