Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated with feedings

Default Frustrated with feedings

I am a first time mom who's been reading posts on here for a while looking for tips and I'm at a loss now. My little one has destroyed one nipple and it won't seem to heal yet, that breast produces more milk than the other. When I try to feed her, the latch is painful (I have seen LC many times) and she will grunt and pull on me as if she's not getting enough milk. I have tried Mothers Milk Tea and Fenugreek and both worked for a little while but now, I can't even nurse my daughter at night because she only cries. I try to pump often but now, I barely get .5 oz on each side and I have to go back to work Aug. 2nd. At her 1 mo. appointment, she was in the 50% for weight and only 20% for height (her dad and I are decently short (5' 4" and 5' 6"). I don't know what else to do. Is it really possible that I don't have a great supply? In the early mornings, I have plenty of milk because you can see it seaping out of her mouth while she's feeding and I'm very full but after that, I have nothing it seems.

Default Re: Frustrated with feedings

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! I'm sorry you've had such a rough time nursing her. But the good news is that her weight gain is obviously terrific, so on the most basic level things are going right. Good job, mama!

One of the issues you are experiencing does not sound like a problem, but rather a normal part of nursing a baby. Milk supply fluctuates over the course of the day, with most moms noticing that their supply is most abundant in the wee hours of the night and first thing in the morning. This is when many mamas feel the most full. But during the day, it's very normal to feel "empty" as prolactin (the milk-producing hormone) levels are generally lower during the day and the baby is more alert and therefore often draining the breast more thoroughly.

Not pumping much is also very normal. Pumping is a learned skill, and when you pump after nursing 1 oz total is pretty typical yield. If you are concerned about your pump output, this link should help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

The thing that concerns me most in your post is the torn-up nipple. Can you tell us more about that? Do you have one big crack/wound, or several small, slit-like cracks? Do you feel any burning or itching sensations? When your baby unlatches, what shape is your nipple? Symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or asymmetrical, like a new lipstick?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I do realize as the day goes on, the milk supply goes down but what concerns me the most is that she acts like she's still hungry but I feel like she's emptied my breast and like mentioned above, when I pump after I feed her, there's collectively about an ounce. I try a few times on each breast to get her to eat more and she stil seems hungry. At night, she will "eat" for 25-30 minutes and then cries until you give her a bottle that has 4-5 oz of milk and guzzles it down.

The nipple has a wound on the side of the nipple and after feedings, it looks like a new lipstick. I have tried letting it air dry, putting expressed milk on it and I even have all purpose nipple cream from my doctor.

My biggest concern is that my little one isn't getting enough food by the way she acts.

It actually sounds like your supply is great and NOT a problem, just based on the fact that your baby is thriving. The pump is a notoriously bad way to judge your supply, especially when you're still in the early days getting used to it. However, your nipple sounds PAINFUL! Ouch! Did any of the LCs you've seen mention thrush or some other infection as a possibility? Are you treating it in any way?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

A lot of babies become increasingly fussy as the day goes on, with many having a peak fussy time in the late afternoon and evening. The "witching hour(s)" or "evenings-only colic" are terms that are commonly used for this pattern. So that's one possibility.

Another possibility is nipple confusion. If your baby has been getting bottles from very early on, she may have come to prefer the fast and easy rewards of bottle-feeding over the more difficult task of nursing. If she fussed after feedings, that may be her way of communicating "Hey, this nursing thing is HARD! I want that nice easy bottle, and I'm going to cry until I get it." What would happen if you just to the bottles away?

When you say your nipple has a wound on the side, where exactly? Like, imagine the nipple is a clock. Is the wound at 3 o'clock? 6 o'clock? Is it closer to the center of the dial (nipple)?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have an anti-fungal cream that I use and everyone says the latch looks good. I really wants to BF as long as I can, its just upsetting not knowing whats going on and what to do. I know everyone says my supply sounds great, I'm still worried for when I go back to work.