Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!!--Extreme Nipple Pain and Sore Breast

Default Help!!--Extreme Nipple Pain and Sore Breast

Hello Ladies,

I have been suffering with extreme nipple pain, especially when my DS (13 days old) first latches on my right breast. It takes my breath away and I have to grab something to get through it, it feels like a stabbing-type burning pain. Throughout the nursing session, the pain becomes much less sharp, although it never quite goes away. After the first 30 seconds or so, it becomes bearable. The pain is so awful that I actually dread feedings. I have tried to switch it up from the cross cradle position to the football hold, but both are equally painful. The left side does not have the sharp pain that the right does, although it is mildly painful.

When I inspect the right breast, I see what looks like a tiny hole on the side of the nipple, and think that it is likely a crack. I have been expressing milk and rubbing it on the nipple after feedings and using Lansinoh. I never had problems like this with my first DS, whom I breastfed for 14 months.

As of yesterday, my right breast now feels very tender, almost like it is engorged, but it doesn't go away after feedings. I have been massaging the breast vigorously, although it is very painful.

Oh, and I should mention that DS is gaining plenty of weight. He was 8lb 11oz at birth, and at 12 days weighed 10lb 5oz (with clothes on).

What can I do to help ease the nipple pain? I do not want to dread feedings, and I don't want to do anything that will decrease milk supply or hinder our breastfeeding relationship as I plan to BF for at least a year.

Default Re: Help!!--Extreme Nipple Pain and Sore Breast

When your baby comes off the breast, what shape is your nipple? Symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or asymmetrical, like a new lipstick?

It's in the normal realm to have a "30 second sizzle" pain when the baby first latches on. As long as it subsides and you're not getting nipple damage, I'd generally say "Give it time, it's not a huge problem.". But since it sounds like you have either a crack or a blister and a plugged duct, I'd suggest seeing a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, about your baby's latch. I think you definitely want to make sure he's not tongue-tied, and even if he's not, you probably need some help adjusting his latch so that he's not causing you such extreme pain and nipple damage.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Definitely get some hands on help ASAP!

In the meantime, you need to give that right breast some attention to avoid mastitis. It sounds like you have a clogged duct, at the very least. I found it helpful to hop in a hot bath and just massage the tender, engorged breast. The warm water will get the milk flowing, and the massage will break up clogs. Focus your massage on any hard, tender, lumpy spots. Obviously keep trying to nurse on that side, or pump if you have to in order to empty it. If you get a fever, or feel like you have the flu, you might have mastitis - call your doctor!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I can completely relate to the pain and I, too, turned here for help. For me, it was a sloppy latch, a severe case of thrush, and after many, many weeks thinking it was thrush that didn't go away, realized that I have raynaud's syndrome. I gouged my palms (made them bleed) from digging my nails in from the pain, and I would cry in between just thinking of having to nurse again. I agree w/pp and say get hands on help to rule out a bad - or even just sloppy - latch. Then start investigating other problems. hth!

Thank you for the replies! I think it definitely might have something to do with the latch. When he comes off my breast, the nipple is definitely asymmetrical. But, if I remember correctly, my nipple never looked perfectly round after DS1 came off the breast either, even though I never had this sharp pain with him. I have been working hard to try to correct the latch at home, and the pain has been a little better for the most part today. I looked online to try to find an IBCLC near me (I live in a rural community), and it seems like the closest is a couple of hours away. Where else would I be able to find help? Perhaps a hospital nearby, even if its not an IBCLC??

Default Re: Help!!--Extreme Nipple Pain and Sore

If you have a local LLL, give them a call. Your local hospital is also potentially a good resource. They may have LCs, and while generally IBCLCs are the best there are good LCs, too. I also suggest getting your pediatrician to look in your baby's mouth for a tongue tie.

You might want to google "Jack Newman latch videos" and "nipple sandwich technique" for some resources which may help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Help!!--Extreme Nipple Pain and Sore

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mandynj View Post
    I can completely relate to the pain and I, too, turned here for help. For me, it was a sloppy latch, a severe case of thrush, and after many, many weeks thinking it was thrush that didn't go away, realized that I have raynaud's syndrome. I gouged my palms (made them bleed) from digging my nails in from the pain, and I would cry in between just thinking of having to nurse again. I agree w/pp and say get hands on help to rule out a bad - or even just sloppy - latch. Then start investigating other problems. hth!
    Me too, I have Raynaud's. http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...13/4/e360.full If you don't get relief, print out and bring to your practitioner. You'd be surprised how many do not know about Raynaud's and the nipple, I just spoke to a nurse-midwife yesterday who has Raynaud's and forgot that it could be in the nipple. It took me 5 visits to the GP, OB, LC, etc. before it was diagnosed, even though I've had Raynaud's of the hands since age 15.

However, it's more likely you have a clogged duct than anything else. BTW another sign of mastitis is a red line across the breast--see a doc right away if you get that.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?