Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 month old doesn't like cow's milk! What should I do?

Question 12 month old doesn't like cow's milk! What should I do?

Hi everyone,
    My son just turned one a week ago and I've started to wean him. I am dropping our late afternoon feeding first and hoping to replace it with cow's milk. There's just one problem- he doesn't like it! We've tried giving it to him cold, warm, and in cereal but he just won't have it.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

Default Re: 12 month old doesn't like cow's milk! What should I do?

I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in, but I know a lot of moms who have mixed breastmilk and cow's milk in increasing ratios to get their baby used to the taste of cow's milk. Like start with a 3/1 breastmilk/cow's milk balance and see if he will accept it?
    DS October 2010
    0 days: 7lbs6oz, 20"
    4 days: 6lbs8oz
    2 months: 11lbs4oz, 22.75"
    4 months: 13lbs5oz, 25"
    6 months: 14lbs14oz, 26.5"
    9 months: 16lbs13oz, 27.75"

Joe wouldn't drink cow's milk until he was 16 or 17 months old - he also just didn't like it. It's one of the reasons I continued to breastfeed him well past one! Have you tried mixing cow's milk with breastmilk? Sounds a bit odd, but he might like it better, and it might help him transition. Joe also took formula better than cow's milk. (I should add, I don't hate formula or anything, it's very useful when needed, but that stuff does NOT taste good!)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

You only need cow's milk for the calcium and vitamin D. If you can get enough in him through other foods (cheese/yogurt especially), then you don't need to worry about it.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: 12 month old doesn't like cow's milk

My son is almost 3 and just recently started liking cow's milk. It was actually kind of nice because we dring skim and I didn't have to buy whole milk at all now he just drinks skim. He did love yogurt and cheese so I would give him those and continue to breastfeed. If your still nursing 3-4 times a day that should be enough. You could try just replacing the nursing session with a healthy snack and water.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

with pp. If your LO likes yogurt and cheese, milk isn't actually necessary. However, if you still want to be able to give a cup of milk then you can try soy milk to see if he likes that.

Alternatively, this is another option I used. When I weaned DS, he didn't like cow's milk initially either. I never had enough pumped milk available that I was willing to potentially lose any by mixing it with cow's milk and waste it. Instead, since DS loved bananas I tried him on banana smoothies. At first I mixed banana, milk and a small amount of vanilla yogurt. I gradually eliminated the additions to transition him to plain milk.

As long as you are nursing 3-4 x per day and offering other calcium rich foods you are good. You can keep trying the cows milk, my son like the pp took a while to warm up to it too.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My son never took cow's milk well when I transitioned him over. It wasn't until he was two that I figured out he was lactose intollerant and he was probably trying to tell me all along. I felt like a total doofus of a mother for not figuring it out sooner. We put him on rice milk and he loved it. He now drinks soy mostly. He also loves goats milk! He is 6 now and still rejects cow's milk with a "ugggg!! yuck! that's cow's milk mommy!!!"