Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: biting

Default biting

My 16 week old baby has just started biting.. it was really painful. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do when this is happening..

Default Re: biting

Does your baby have teeth or is s/he just chomping with the gums?

she is just chopping with her gums...

I don't have any advice. I know there was a thread about this awhile back. I will look for it. Maybe in the meantime someone else will help.

OK I just did a search for chomping up at the top in the blue line, you can click on search and enter chomping. Lots of similar threads came up, but this one may help. If not keep reading through them and you may find some that do.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...light=Chomping

Thank you for all of your help. She just caught me out of the blue with this. I do believe she is starting to teeth poor baby...... Thank you again

I completely understand. My baby just had her first tooth break through on Halloween. Good luck.

Thank you she just finally went down to sleep. She hasn't been napping she has just been irratable. She would bite me then look at me so I would tell her no then pull her off...

When it first happened to me with my DD, I had a several other experienced BF moms tell me to pull the baby INTO the breast (gently, of course!) for a couple of seconds -- enough for the nostrils to be pressed against the skin so they can't breathe through their nose. This way they have to open their mouth to breathe and therefore release the death-grip on your breast. Supposedly, most babies learn after just a couple or three times with this technique that maybe mommy's breast ISN'T such a great chew toy and will stop. The only caution I got was that you have to be careful not to be too abrupt when pulling them in and also release the INSTANT they let go, otherwise it may scare them and you could potentially end up dealing with a nursing strike.

That said, this technique did NOT work with my DD (who seems to have a propensity for "bucking the system" ). When I would pull her in, she would look up at me with this mischevious look in her eyes and grin -- and bite down harder! SO-- I had to find a DIFFERENT method of dealing. Figured out that the biting was reinforced if I showed ANY reaction to the pain (saying "OW!" or wincing or (her favorite) saying "NO!" (she would LAUGH!... little brat... lol). So I had to practice putting on my best poker face, grit my teeth and (sometimes) wedge my finger in between her gums to break her hold. As soon as she let go, I would immediately sit her up and turn her around in my lap and say "No more nonnie".... to which she would get rather upset , and then after about 30-60 seconds (sometimes a little longer since the really bad thing was that her biting at that age would almost always cause an INSTANT let-down and I'd have to wait for it to subside) I would turn her back toward me and ask if she was going to be nice to nonnie now b/c if not then no more. That was what ended up working for me. Only took about 2 or 3 times and she stopped.

One side note: this may not happen to you, but my DD experienced a "relapse" with every one of her front teeth just before the tooth popped through -- but those times it was different, like she really did NOT realize she was doing it -- unlike the intentional behavior when she was your child's age.

Hope this helps!
    ~Shannon

My Ds did this for about 2 weeks a few weeks ago, I would take him off and tell him No! that hurts. I figure he would figure out what no ment sooner or later. I know now that it was due to teething his first tooth is coming thru barely today but started biting me well before then. He hasn't bit me in a week or so now but I was seriously considering weaning since none of my others didn't do that upon teething. Not much help but a knowing ear at least