Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sippy cup vs bottle

Default sippy cup vs bottle

I am a teacher and went back for 16 days in June and my son took a bottle... reluctantly. My DH has been trying to give my 20 wk old ds a bottle everyday to keep him in a routine, but he mostly just chews on it and spits it out, and waits for me.

I tried a Tommee Tippee sippy with him today and he did not squirm and cry like he does with a bottle. I am debating as to whether I should encourage the sippy or continue to try and have dh give him a bottle.

I like the Tommee Tippe because it shows the ounces on the side, and has an air flow valve, however, I had to take out the "no spill" valve because ds would not suck on it. Instead, he licks at the drops that come out.

I do not like the Tommee Tippee because I had to take the valve out and the milk flows quickly that way, and because 1/4 ounce of milk seems to get stuck at the bottom.

Have babies ever developed a "sippy preference" because it flows faster? Does anyone have suggestions for a type of sippy and how to teach my son to use it? Should I just try to continue with the bottle?

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: sippy cup vs bottle

my son prefers a sippy over a bottles, but he doesnt know how to hold the sippy yet. also i have started letting him have sips out of a real cup. its a little messy at first but not too bad. he is 5 months and 1 week
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarapunkinpie88 View Post
    my son prefers a sippy over a bottles, but he doesnt know how to hold the sippy yet. also i have started letting him have sips out of a real cup. its a little messy at first but not too bad. he is 5 months and 1 week
    What kind of sippy do you use? I'd like to have his DCP give him EBM in a sippy if he refuses the bottle, but I hate that some of it does not seem to make it to the spout. My ds can't hold it yet either, and does seem to drool a lot! Right now that's not an issue with EBM because I am home to nurse whenever he wants, but when I go to work and am pumping, I don't want too much wasted!

I posted this exact same question a week or so ago. I'm hoping to be back to work soon. While most of the responses I got were to give my DS (5mo) a bottle he REALLY hates them. He figured out the sippy cup allot quicker then I thought & he doesnt fuss with it at all. My mom gives it to him when I cant be home & she makes sure that he goes slow with it & takes breaks so that it takes the same time to drink whats in the cup as a normal nursing session. It works for us & he still prefers mommy to anything else!!!! Good luck & do what ever works for you & your baby
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*charadawn View Post
    I posted this exact same question a week or so ago. I'm hoping to be back to work soon. While most of the responses I got were to give my DS (5mo) a bottle he REALLY hates them. He figured out the sippy cup allot quicker then I thought & he doesnt fuss with it at all. My mom gives it to him when I cant be home & she makes sure that he goes slow with it & takes breaks so that it takes the same time to drink whats in the cup as a normal nursing session. It works for us & he still prefers mommy to anything else!!!! Good luck & do what ever works for you & your baby
    Thanks Charadawn, I did not see your post! What kind of sippy do you use? Does your ds actually suck on the sippy? I had to take the valve out for my son because he would just chew on it. Without the valve, he licks at it until the milk drips as I tilt it for him.

Have you seen that NUK sippy that has an entire soft lid? You wouldn't lose milk with that one and it's clear. Also, the AVENT bottles (widemouth) have a sippy type lid. So you could pump into the bottles and use the sippy lid - and you can take the valve off.

My almost three year old still can't figure out how to drink from a sippy cup - she uses a regular cup or a straw.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

He really likes the Nuk sippy the best. I started him on it with the valve out but he started sucking on it after about a week, so I put the valve back in & he figured it out!!!

These ones don't even have a valve, although may be more difficult to figure out:

http://www.amazon.com/NUK-Silicone-S...1873610&sr=8-4
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

oh & my post was in the working forum

Charadawn and Tracie, thank you both so much! Tracie, you have ALWAYS been so helpful on this board! I feel like I am always posting questions, I hope to pay it forward to other mamas in need more.