Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only poops with pumped milk

Default Only poops with pumped milk

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I posted a couple days ago that my son was only pooping every other day which isn't normal for his age (4 weeks) So I decided to pull out the pump and give that a try. The last 2 days he has been pooping after I give him a bottle. I have only given him 1 a day of 2 oz as I am afraid he will get nipple confusion. So does anyone know possibly what could be the problem as to why he doesn't poop after nursing? It's kind of getting me down because I really want nursing to work and I don't want to have to stock up a supply of pumped stuff just so he can poop as I have a year off for mat leave so I won't be going back to work for 10 months and don't really plan to start pumping till a month before going back to work. Also since he's been pooping from pumped milk his poops aren't seedy anymore just the mustard color and a little more runny. He is only fed from breast milk

Thanks for your help

edit: He nurses every 3-4 hours for a good hour at at a time and I wait till one side is empty before offering the second

Default Re: Only poops with pumped milk

I don't think you need to worry about it.

http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I think it's a coincidence. There is nothing different about your pumped milk that would make him poop. I'd say pooping very 2 days is not a problem if everything else is fine (weight gain, # of wets, behaviour at the breast). Every 3-4 hours seems a little long between nursings. Do you offer more frequently and he just doesn't want it?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamakickypants View Post
    Every 3-4 hours seems a little long between nursings. Do you offer more frequently and he just doesn't want it?
    He doesn't wake up to feed so I have to wake him to eat even though he never wakes up and just eats in his sleep most of the time, but the reason behind that is because after eating for an hour and he pulls off and seems content he then wants back on after I burp him for another hour or 2 to comfort nurse, so I'm having a really hard time trying to give attention to my high strung almost 3 yr old. I unfortunately have no family that lives here to take her to and only have 1 friend willing to take her, but she lives an hour away and my bf works all day so I have basically no breaks at the moment as she doesn't nap anymore so when he's asleep I'm usually tending to her. Then when he gets home from work he usually makes supper and takes over with her, which by now is fussy time and he is attached to me from about 6pm-10pm which is usually about the time I throw in the towel and hope that a bath will put him to sleep finally which only works half the time....I just keep telling myself that things will get easier some day and that there's eventually light at the end of the tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rebesalsa View Post
    He doesn't wake up to feed so I have to wake him to eat even though he never wakes up and just eats in his sleep most of the time, but the reason behind that is because after eating for an hour and he pulls off and seems content he then wants back on after I burp him for another hour or 2 to comfort nurse, so I'm having a really hard time trying to give attention to my high strung almost 3 yr old. I unfortunately have no family that lives here to take her to and only have 1 friend willing to take her, but she lives an hour away and my bf works all day so I have basically no breaks at the moment as she doesn't nap anymore so when he's asleep I'm usually tending to her. Then when he gets home from work he usually makes supper and takes over with her, which by now is fussy time and he is attached to me from about 6pm-10pm which is usually about the time I throw in the towel and hope that a bath will put him to sleep finally which only works half the time....I just keep telling myself that things will get easier some day and that there's eventually light at the end of the tunnel
    That's right.

Have you tried putting #2 in a sling? I don't know your LO's age, but very young babies are so lightweight that a nice sheet or piece of jersey (tee shirt fabric) will hold them. Just tie over a shoulder and keep your hand hovering under baby until you feel he's secure. Then you can play with #1. With one hand you can support LO and offer the breast too because every 3-4hrs for an exclusively bf baby is not often enough for him to stimulate your milk production, and eventually his weight will begin to lag. You might get clogged ducts from a build-up of milk too. But a sling will keep baby and breast conveniently together with at least one of your hands free, and you'll be able to move around too. Try it out
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

It actually IS totally normal for a 4week old not to poop everyday. He could go longer than that and it would still be normal and OK.

Way too lazy for formula

Breastfed babies sometimes go a week to ten days without pooping! And when that happens the first time, you'll probably feel a little nervous. But it's normal. I agree, I think the pooping after a bottle is coincidence, or just a factor of him having a larger amount of milk at a sitting than he does at the breast. But again, there's no need for BF'd babies to poop frequently. What you do need to watch are wet diapers.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rebesalsa View Post
    Sounds like you live my life It does get better! Just give in and let him nurse.

For dealing with the older child, I used to pull up a book and we would read while I nursed the baby. Or watch TV together. Or play little games. I put baby in a sling and go places with the older. And I do it now (not nearly as much as I used to) while EPing with baby and three older kids. You'll make it through. It's just right now, you kind of need to nurse the baby for long-term supply benefits.

I don't know who told you a baby should poop every day, but they were wrong. Babies who are BF can go up to 14 days between. BM is so digestible that a BF baby can use every bit of it, which is why they often have no residue to poop and why they must nurse all the time.

Besides coincidence, the only reason I can see for a baby to poop with pumped milk is that freezing changes the milk in some ways; there is research under way about all of this. Maybe there is more indigestible stuff due to the change? I've noticed my current baby, fed via EP, poops a LOT. More than my EBF babies One of my others went every 14 days, with the others going every other day, just 1-2 times; this one goes like 3 times a day.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan, I think that stuff is pretty variable. Lilah pooped just about every time she nursed for months. Trixie has always been a once or twice a day pooper, and then has gone to every few days at times.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

. I don't know. It's just what I noticed about this kid after having the others. I dunno. It's just very different, and it looks and smells a bit different too. Even when I mix my bottles. The curdy bits aren't usually in there, and are certainly never in the same quantity as an EBF baby.

Never thought I'd ever have a whole conversation about baby poo
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!