Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constant breastfeeding stops crying-HELP!

Default constant breastfeeding stops crying-HELP!

My 5 wk DS can only be soothed from crying when I BF him. During these crying episodes he is rooting. Often he is actually eating, although sometimes I know he's just sucking for comfort. So this results in BF almost all day. Usually he falls asleep when he BF. However, when I get up to put him in bassinet or bouncer to sleep, a few mins after he BF, he wakes up & is hungry again!!! In the past I have caved and given a bottle of formula, and have noticed that he's much more satisfied, not crying and stays asleep. It's so nice that I'm tempted to give formula more often!!! Help! What's going on here?!

Default Re: constant breastfeeding stops crying-HELP!

It's completely normal to breastfeed constantly those first 6 weeks (and sometimes a little longer). It's nature's way of getting your milk supply established. Put the formula can down. You don't need it as long as your baby is having enough wet diapers throughout the day. Supplementing will wind up hurting your supply in the long run because you will start to miss feedings and your body will be signaled to stop producing as much.

He's been BF on my breast almost all day, and he barely sleeps (1 1/2 per day for the last 10 days). I'm glad he's alert, but this BF is wearing me out! Also my aunt who BF suggested that maybe he's thirsty, and to give him a bottle of water. I read in a brochure about BF not to do this...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    It's completely normal to breastfeed constantly those first 6 weeks (and sometimes a little longer). It's nature's way of getting your milk supply established. Put the formula can down. You don't need it as long as your baby is having enough wet diapers throughout the day. Supplementing will wind up hurting your supply in the long run because you will start to miss feedings and your body will be signaled to stop producing as much.

my lo did this for about 8 weeks. he goes so long between feedings now i actually really miss those early weeks. i did not do anything but nurse. dh did dinner, took care of the house etc. i miss that!

formula is not more satisfying, it is harder to digest. throw out the formula mama!

no water, your milk is all he needs.

sorry about the multiple posts

keep the baby in your lap with a boppy or pillow, get cozy in the morning with snacks, your laptop, whatever, and plan to stay there all day. just enjoy the time, i know it is exhausting but your are doing something wonderful!! keep at it, read the posts here and tell us how it goes

I just ran across this again the other day, and was reminded how much I love it. Maybe it will resonate with you, too. http://www.drmomma.org/2010/09/why-a...-dont-cry.html

Babies suckle for many reasons, only one of which is nutritional. But they really are all legitimate needs that we can meet with nursing: comfort, closeness, soothing, rest, among others. And when our babies are newborn, they are working on a huge transition - from being fully attached to our bodies, having every single need met before it was even perceived as a need, to becoming a separate person with all sorts of perceived but as yet unrecognized needs. It can be an overwhelming task at times, and where better to work through it than at mama's breast?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Yes, absolutely no water for a young baby! It's too easy to throw off their electrolyte balance, and that can make a baby seriously ill, and can even be fatal.

It's very normal for a baby to appear "satisfied" after a bottle of formula. Formula is not as easy to digest as breastmilk, and it weighs heavy on a tiny tummy. You know that feeling when you get up from thanksgiving dinner, and you've eaten so much that all you can think of doing is taking a nap? That's how a baby feels after a bottle of formula.

As the PP said, put the formula can down and you will not need it.

All the above being said, having a fussy newborn is very, very stressful and we totally understand your frustration. The following things are strategies that have helped me through the difficult early weeks of breastfeeding:
    -Let the house go to heck. No-one ever died from a dirty floor or dishes in the sink!
    -Novels, television, and the couch are your friend. Just park yourself on the sofa with a basket of snacks and a bottle of water, and nurse, nurse, nurse. This time will pass.
    -Wear your baby. Many babies HATE being put down in a swing or bouncy seat or crib. But often they will snuggle peacefully against you if you wear them in a sling. I personally like a wrap-style carrier like the Moby for a newborn.
    -See your pediatrician. Sometimes a baby is crying because he's in pain. Make sure you get ear infections ruled out.
    -Remember that there are a ton of growth spurts in the first few months.
    -Try a soothing bath or some fresh air when the baby seems inconsolable.
    -Sleep with your baby. Co-sleeping can mean more rest for you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 3 week old is doing the exact same thing! I can barely manage to eat a meal or feed my horses during the day- much less sleep!
    I have been chalking it up to a growth spurt, but it sounds like it might just be normal for the first 6 weeks??

You mean I have this to look forward to for another 3 weeks?!?!?

I don't know if my sanity is going to survive this!

Thanks for all your support. It is really appreciated.