Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to get a frantic baby to the breast?

Unhappy How to get a frantic baby to the breast?

My LO is 3 months, 3 days old.
    I was on my way to the lake today, and my LO was asleep so I thought I would be able to make it in time to get there and nurse. However, she awoke and started fussing a little in the back seat. I thought I might have time to make it (the lake is like 1hr away but I was almost there!) but she had other plans. She started screaming out and wailing and I had to pull over as soon as I could find a shady spot (its 110F here today) jumped in the backseat, pulled her out of her carseat and tried to nurse. But by then she was totally inconsolable. I tried rocking, swaying, singing, kissing and cuddling, not forcing the breast but just having it there for her. She wouldnt have any part of it at all. She just screamed and screamed at it like she was in complete agony and how DARE I even try, like I was torturing her or something I stopped offering for a few minutes, consoling, offered again and she freaked out again.
    I always carry some BM in a bottle with me when I leave the house for just in casers, and she took it from the bottle just fine. After that she was full, and just giggled and smiled at me when I tried offering her the breast again so I had to go home instead of to the lake so I could pump
    So now all my family is out at the lake, swimming and bbq'ing and jetskiing and I'm here on my own.

On top of all of this I'm struggling keeping my supply up, and occasionally I still have to offer formula - I've had to do this since 6 weeks old because of failure to thrive, I went to an IBCLC weekly trying to work out latching...We finally got the hang of it but by then my supply was almost diminished and on a feed and weigh she only got 18cc from both breasts, she wasn't gaining any weight and her wet diapers were around 4 a day and she pooped maaaaybe once every week to 10 days. This actually happens quite a bit. If I don't give her the breast RIGHT AWAY as soon as she awakes or cues or fusses a little then it's too late.

I feel like now I am trapped at home, and I can't go anywhere further than 10 minutes away because if she is in the car with me and she cue's and I cannot pull over (like im on a highway or in traffic) then I cannot feed her once I do find a place to stop.

Any suggestions for getting a panicking frantic baby on the boob? Or am I pretty much house-bound until she is older
    FTM to Abigail Dell 03/18/2011
    SAHM
    we are FINALLY a fully breastmilk baby (after 14 weeks of struggling!)
    Om nom nom

Default Re: How to get a frantic baby to the breast?

With my second who had great problems learning to nurse, I wore him in a ring sling to calm him down if he was upset, then I latched him on still in the sling, often rocking or bouncing while I did it. It sounds goofy, and it was hard, but it worked.

There are lots of good information sheets and videos on www.drjacknewman.com. I'm sending a direct link to a video about using a technique called finger feeding to calm a frantic baby prior to latching on.

Have you ever considered using an SNS or lactation aid to supplement your baby at the breast rather than using a bottle? (Please forgive me if I'm incorrect in my assumption that you're giving formula through a bottle.) Many infants take both breast and bottle well (lots of working moms can attest to that), but every baby is different, and some get confused by the different sucking techniques required, and some just prefer the faster flow from the bottle. Using an SNS (a tube alongside the nipple) allows you to supplement while the baby sucks at the breast, so it calms a baby who's frustrated by slow flow, it stimulates supply, and it prevents nipple confusion/preference. It costs some money up front to get an SNS, but in my experience with my son, it paid huge dividends once we mastered using it.

I'm sure other moms have some good techniques as well. You're not alone in this .
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I've sometimes found that a change of scenery is the only thing that will snap my daughter out of a frenzy she can't seem to escape on her own. If we're inside, I'll step outside, and vice versa. I've even been known to toss her up in the air and catch her while she's screaming (it helped). Sometimes these sort of things are enough of a distraction to allow her to get going with nursing before she realizes that she's frantic
    Last edited by @llli*firefly; June 21st, 2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: clarification
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Thankyou for your suggestions, ladies. I'll try the rocking and change of scenery even if i take a quick little walk with her outside the car if she gets herself there again.

I have an SNS i tried using that my IBCLC provided to me but she knows about the tube and pops off my nipple and sips the tube like a straw But I still use it now and again during one of my nurse-ins i have. I'm so close to EBF now! She went from 24oz of formula a day to 8 over the past 2 weeks.
    You were right that I do use bottles, I use the gerber nuks with the newborn nipple, but she hasnt had any issue going between the two. Just her crazy freak-outs she has if i dont jump to her when she requests to nurse (hands in mouth with a really cute pleading babble).
    FTM to Abigail Dell 03/18/2011
    SAHM
    we are FINALLY a fully breastmilk baby (after 14 weeks of struggling!)
    Om nom nom

Just found this old post and saw that you are now entirely on breastmilk. Congratulations!
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I just wanted to add that I occasionally had good luck breaking my son out of frantic crying by squirting just a little milk into his mouth. He would pause long enough to taste and swallow it and then when he re-opened his mouth, I could latch him on. It didn't always work, but sometimes it was enough to change the underlying vibe and allow him to nurse.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012