Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Neverending oversupply issues...

Default Neverending oversupply issues...

I was told that my oversupply would even out on its own as I began to exclusively nurse my son (as opposed to exclusively pumping). Well, it hasn't! I'm not pumping unless I'm at work (3 nights a week) and I'm nursing on demand/every 3-4 hours. When I'm at work, I only pump the amount the baby takes from a bottle (my husband texts me each feeding). The baby is going to be 2 months old on the 28th. Well, I'm ALWAYS full, and that's making the latch difficult, so sometimes I try to express a little first, but usually it still hurts so I just grit my teeth through it and nurse him. When my breasts are soft, the latch doesn't really hurt.

I have a LLL book, so today I've been trying what it recommends...it says to nurse a couple times on each breast, only that breast. Well, I've done the left breast twice and my right breast feels like a freaking bowling ball! I just hand expressed milk for about 20 seconds as it also recommends (if uncomfortable), and it didn't help much at all. I think there is probably about 8 ounces of milk in that breast alone!

Am I doing the right thing? I don't know what else I can do...and when I switch breasts and put the baby on the overfull one at first, it's going to be hard for him to nurse...I don't want to drown him! I usually nurse side-lying so milk can run out of the side of his mouth if he needs it to; that seems to help with choking/sputtering. But he still has spit-up/gas issues more often than I expected.
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

Default Re: Neverending oversupply issues...

How long have you been block feeding for? It takes a little time for your body to catch up to the signals. Soon enough your body will realize that there's a longer time between feedings on each breast and your supply will adjust.

In the meantime express a little (and I mean a little. or you're defeating the purpose of block feeding by stimulating the breast) to help with the uncomfortable fullness. You can apply cold or warm compresses (whichever you prefer) or put cold cabbage leaf in your bra.

Hang in there!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Block feeding can take a while to make a dent in your oversupply. There's no telling how long it will take- some moms see a response in hours, whereas for others it will take days or weeks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

try this massage for the gas, i am crazy about it!! http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb98p13.html

also block feeding can take awhile to work! sometimes weeks! just express enough so that you can get comfortable! also maybe try wearing a sports bra at night?
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

I believe it took a couple of days before I saw a reduction in my oversupply when I started block feeding. As much as possible, try to resist the urge to express much from the unused side. It is being overfull that tells your body to cut down production. So, in essence, the side that you are NOT using when you block feed is the side that accomplishes what you need accomplished - a message that not as much milk is needed. Hang in there!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Block feeding WORKS, but not necessarily immediately. And remember, in order for your body to get the idea to make less milk, you have to feel very full. If you pump or hand express too much, your breasts think the milk was needed and keep making more. So it can be a difficult line to walk at first - You have to feel full, or your supply won't go down. But you don't want to get TOO full, or you will be susceptible to clogged ducts and mastitis. So basically, you want to go as long as you can stand, and then hand express a bit from the full breast to take the edge off. But not too much, see above. It's hard! But it does get better, we promise.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.