Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Input: 3week DD goes 3hours when sleeping, but can only last 1.5 hr when awake

Question Need Input: 3week DD goes 3hours when sleeping, but can only last 1.5 hr when awake

Hello, my DD is 3weeks old today. We've been working with a LC at my hospital since she was about 1week old because I had low milk supply then. Since then, I had pumped after each feeding and built up enough supply, so that now I no longer pump and only feed on demand. When she naps, or through the night, she can go 3 hours between feedings, however, if she's awake, she can't go much longer than 1-1.5 hours between feedings. In the evenings around 6-9pm, she often feeds every hour, and I can attribute that to perhaps cluster feeding, but sometimes in the mornings she needs to feed every 1.5 hours too.

My questions are: Why this sort of pattern? Is she getting enough milk? She is making plenty of wet diapers and has several BMs a day, but I'm concerned she isn't getting enough if she needs to feed every 1.5 hours while awake but only feeds every 3 hours when asleep. Also, is there any way to stretch out that time while she is awake or is time our friend, and hopefully as she grows she'll be able to last longer? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Need Input: 3week DD goes 3hours when sleeping, but can only last 1.5 hr when awa

That actually sounds absolutely normal to me. Breastmilk digests really quickly, and it sounds like your baby is eating more to compensate for sleeping longer stretches at night (which is awesome! ). Your baby knows when she is hungry. Bravo for listening to her cues! Has someone told you that she should be going longer between feeds?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Default Re: Need Input: 3week DD goes 3hours when sleeping, but can only last 1.5 hr when awa

Sounds perfect to me. I know it's hard but she's so young, this will pass. We all feel chained to the couch at this age but the best thing to do is accept it and know that you are doing the exact right thing and in a few weeks things will be totally different.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

This is why all the experts who write the books tend to focus on the number of nursing sessions in 24 hours rather than the time between feedings, since they can vary quite a bit. At 3 weeks you're probably looking at anywhere between 8 and 12 feedings in 24 hours.

The most important things is respond to your baby's cues, which is exactly what you're doing, it sounds like.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Sounds textbook normal to me. Babies don't feed in clockwork patterns. Best thing you can do right now is to roll with it- get yourself the tv remote, a basket of snacks, a good novel, and enjoy this time in your baby's life. It's a brief one. I know it doesn't feel that way now, but one day I promise you will agree with me!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, everyone for your input. No one's told me to stretch out the 1.5 hour feedings during the day, I was more concerned that she wasn't getting enough since she seems to need to feed every 1-1.5 hours when awake but only eating every 3 hours at night/when sleeping. I do hope this short time span between feedings passes soon though!! Thanks for your encouragement.

Oh, glad to hear it! We get so many moms coming here concerned that something is wrong because their babies are eating every hour or so, and their grandma or some book they read or even their pediatrician (who should know better) tells them that babies should be eating only every 3-4 hours.

It's funny how babies- even very young ones- often prioritize getting a decent stretch of sleep at night. They'll eat more often during the day just so that they can go 3 hours at night. Gives you hope for the future! One day we'll all be getting a good night's sleep.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"