Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I reverse starting to wean my son?

Default Can I reverse starting to wean my son?

Is it possible to reverse the weaning process once it's started, and if so how do I?

I have been ebf my almost 7 month old son (but we have introduced some food since 6 months). It has been a rocky 7 months - he has severe mspi, so my diet has been very strict and limited - so at around the 6 month mark my husband, my ped, and myself all thought it would be a good time to start weaning him. It was a hard decision to come to (and I was never 100% about it), but we have a vacation planned (so it will be very hard to stick to my strict diet while on the road/in hotels), and I will be starting a new job in 2 months that will require me to go away to training for 2 weeks (my son will be coming with me, but once again I'll be in a hotel so eating all dairy and soy free will be hard).

Well, I've started the weaning process and my son has done pretty well with it until yesterday. This weekend I was down to 3 bf sessions + 3 bottles a day, and yesterday I started with just 2 bf sessions (morning then evening) and 4 bottles. Last night he was really fussy and wouldn't take his bottle, but I thought maybe he just wasn't hungry. But then today he did it again - would only take 2oz from the bottle, then he got very fussy and started crying hysterically - then I offered him to bf and he calmed down ate for a good 20 minutes. I feel like, at the very least, I'm rushing him to wean too fast. Would it be possible to get back up to 3 bf sessions per day (or more) so that he will still get some bm and be comforted once again, or is it too late??? I'm engorged in the morning and evening, but I'm worried that I may have ruined my supply for more 2-3 feedings now.

Default Re: Can I reverse starting to wean my son?

If your baby still nurses and enjoys nursing, all you have to do is nurse more and your supply will come back. You can slowly ramp it back up by adding just one session a day, or you can try to add several sessions at once. Either way, you'll probably notice a difference in supply in just a few days, although it may take a few weeks to completely recover. The fact that you're engorged is a great sign that your supply is still strong and you shouldn't have too much trouble increasing it again. Good luck!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Your milk supply will rebound the more you nurse. your son likes to nurse, he seeks out the breast so that is half the battle. you can still decide which feedings you don't want to nurse for as long as he is being fed and staying hydrated.
    Some mothers replace a nursing with previously pumped breastmilk or a breastmilk substitute.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

with the PPs. Nurse more and you will make more. Moms can go from being totally dry to producing enough milk to exclusively breastfeed, so think how far ahead of the curve you are!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies... I feel better already, and I know more son does too!