Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Uneven supply in breats

Post Uneven supply in breats

I am not sure if this is normal or not, but I seem to have an uneven supply in my breasts. What I mean is my right breast always has more milk (when I pump- this morning Right- 3oz and Left- 1oz after nursing) and always feels more full. DS doesn't seem to prefer a specific side, but I do seem to prefer my right when I am out and can't remember what side I started on last (maybe because it always has more?). I would like to bring my left side up to the amount that the right has without decreasing the right. Is there any way to do that?
    Thank you!!
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

Default Re: Uneven supply in breats

Sorry I forgot to put that DS is 10weeks so my supply has been well established already. Plus we have gone through 3 (in one now) growth spurts, so my supply has been upped and regulated a couple of times already. I am EBF with pumping 1 or 2x a day for an emergency stash.
    Thank you!
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

it is normal for breasts to be unequal. the milk from either side is equally nutritious.
    Your baby may be able to get the smaller side to produce the amount of milk he needs due to changes in his sucking .
    Started my family in 1986
    Finally done in 2001

This link covers lopsidedness and what to do about it: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

My left always produced more than my right. It still does. If your baby is happy and it's not bugging you, you don't need to worry about it. Like you, I think I "preferred" my left side a bit - in my case, because I'm right handed, so it's the easier side to multitask and nurse on - which probably made the lopsidedness a little worse than it would have otherwise been. You can try to even the breasts out by "preferring" the lower producing side, starting there more often, but some unevenness might just be part of your biology.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.