Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old refuses to drink pumped milk : (

Default 10 month old refuses to drink pumped milk : (

I am new to this site and I am hoping someone can help me out.

I am currently working full time and away from home during the day for about 7-8 hours. For the last 3 weeks my ten month old son has refused to drink any breast milk while I am gone. He is eating solids and he will drink water and juice from a sippy cup.

When I get home from work I nurse him 2 or 3 times before bed(around 7:30pm). Then he wakes up every 2 hours throughout the night to nurse.

I am concerenced my son is not getting enough nutrients because he is refusing to drink any breast milk during the day. Plus, I'd LOVE to get a little more sleep at night but I feel like I need to nurse him during the night since he is not drinking any milk while I am gone.

Any ideas how to get him to drink breast milk while I am gone? Has anyone else experienced this? I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments or advice! Thanks!

Default Re: 10 month old refuses to drink pumped milk : (

Have you tasted the milk? Some moms have a problem where excess lipase enzyme causes their milk to taste unpleasant. Scalding the milk before storing it can fix the problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

lipase. That may be the problem. Check out the lipase thread in the pumping forum here.

Will baby take your milk in a sippy cup? If so, problem solved. You could do that instead of having the caregiver give him milk in a bottle.

The other thing....sometimes babies will reverse cycle, particularly when teething, changes in development, other things like that are cropping up. They then want to nurse when they are with mom because they need to connect. You could try night nursing via laying down and cosleeping. I personally found I was much more rested doing that than I am with this baby, because he has to have a cleft feeder and can't nurse laying down.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you for the responses. Yes, up until about 3 weeks ago Evan was drinking the milk from a sippy. It could be teething or possible lipase. I will look at the lipase pumping forum. Thanks again.

I'm guessing lipase too. If he's still drinking other liquids from the same cup, I don't see why he would refuse the milk due to teething.

Although that is a good possibility for the every 2 hour nursing sessions at night.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Sounds like lipase to me too. I have a lipase issue, but my son will also only take a sippy cup (with the valve removed). We have never figured out how to get him to take a bottle. My mom finally gave up trying. My mom just helps him use the sippy cup & goes real slow with it when I have to be away from him. This is what we plan to do if I can ever find a new job
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby