Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: popping off/gulping/coughing

Default popping off/gulping/coughing

hi! so my dcp said my lo needs more milk. I was giving 12 oz, 4 3 oz bottles, and now i am giving 3 4 oz bottles and 1 3 oz (15 total). I do not think he needs this much milk. I think he needs to sleep more but they struggle getting him to sleep. I pump more now to meet the 15 oz mark and we are ok.

my issue is that i feel like i am telling my body to make more milk than it really needs to. i felt this before i added in a session but it is worse now. when lo is home with me and we nurse he gulps and chokes often in the beginning of a session.

he is also popping off like CRAZY...this has something to do with being distracted but it happens even when we are in a dark quiet place, even in bed in the middle of the night.

it just sucks because i wish i did not need to pump (as most of us do). the natural system of the baby telling your body what to make and the baby removing the milk is so much better.

I feel like our nursing sessions are so important to us both and now they are being affected. It is just not pleasant to have him gulping, coughing and popping off like a maniac.

Any suggestions? or do the two of us just need to deal with this if i want him to have enough milk while i am at work? Thank you

Default Re: popping off/gulping/coughing

How long are you at work? That seems like a lot of milk.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

We go through this too. I just now got them to lay off me about the milk, but probably only because I'm sending some solids. It's amazing how much fuller they can get off 2oz of sweet potato purée. I guess it's thicker than the breast milk and so fills her up better [/sarcasm]

M can be a total bear to nurse as far as the popping off. It doesn't matter if it's quiet or not (though she will do it more if it's loud or if I'm talking to someone). It drives me bonkers. The only thing that I've noticed that helps is for me to keep a hand on my breast for the majority of the nursing session. I think she lets the nipple just slip out otherwise.

Also about the daycare. I basically told them that was all the milk I was making, and so that's all they were getting. I said they could have five 3oz bottles or four 4oz bottles, but that under no circumstances was I sending 20 oz of milk in a day. Things have gotten better since she has started napping more reliably there. I think that was the majority of her problem. There's also one lady inparticular that I think M just doesn't respond to very well; the other two teachers give better reports and dont bug me about the milk as much.

HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    How long are you at work? That seems like a lot of milk.
    yes, i know it is more than he needs. i am giving it because they are using it to soothe him. i am not happy about it and have spoken with them about trying to get him to sleep better. basically i know that if i dont give a couple extra oz he is going to be crying. it sucks. best thing i can do is go there when i can because:
    1. if he nurses from me he gets more milk than if i pump
    2. he will get a decent nap

work is tough these next few weeks though and i will not be able to go nurse most days.

jeno, that does help. makes me feel not alone

It sounds like you have a little bit of an overactive letdown. Part of that might be because the pump has trained your body to let down quickly, and part of that is probably from an oversupply too, again because of how you are having to pump. In your shoes, I would do the same thing...pump a little more. I'd rather baby not be crying, even if it's a bit more milk than he should be taking.

But at home...what if you started getting the milk to let down and then nursed? Or try same side feeding for a couple feeds to get the milk letdown to be slower and maybe your LO won't be gulping and choking.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ok, sounds good. Do I get it to let down before I nurse using a pump or just hand express?

Either way. I personally found it faster with a hand pump to get the milk going, but if you have a good respond to hand expression, that works. Or get the baby to start it, take baby off and let it go into a towel -- if baby will let you! Then I usually did some form of block feeding to keep the OALD under control.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!