Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refridgerating Horns, etc. After Pumping?

Default Refridgerating Horns, etc. After Pumping?

So I hear there is a new boss at work that runs the place like a dictator...gee, can't wait to go back.

I've always washed my pumped parts after every pumping session. I've seen people post that the whole setup can be refridgerated in between sessions, in order to save time, which is something I will need to focus on when I go back. How many times can I reuse them? Can I do this for the 3 pumping sessions at work and just wash them after the third session? This is a new concept to me. I've heard that you're not supposed to cold milk with body temperature milk, but my assumption is that the few drops of refridgerated milk left in the bottles won't make a huge difference? I'll be storing anything I pump in bags after the session...I'm referring to the few drops inevitably left in the bottles.

What a clever shortcut! And you're sure this won't cause any issues? I'm so paranoid.

Thanks for any advice and opinions!

Jen

Default Re: Refridgerating Horns, etc. After Pumping?

I have used mine all day... and wash once usually in the am when I am awake... I have read that you can add fresh milk to cold milk as long as it was in the same day-- shouldn't add fresh to day old milk...

not sure what everyone else does...

I just pop them in the fridge, and I have pumped into them with milk in the bottles even. I had always read you could add warm milk to cool milk but not freshly pumped warm milk to frozen milk. If I pour the milk out into my feeders after a session, I reuse the setup (horns, connectors and bottles) all day, just to cut down on my washing.

It will be FINE. Been doing this for over 6 months, an average of 6 times in 24 hours. This baby has not been sick ONCE!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I used to just throw them in a bag in the cooler with the milk bottles. I pumped into the same bottles every time. I washed at night when I got home.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Mine go for nearly 12 hours from the last use at work to my before bed pumping session - no problems in at least 5 months of doing this.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I reuse them all day. . .sometimes every couple days I don't put them in the fridge. I might put the milk in bottles right away if it hot- otherwise, I leave it until theres enough for bottles.

I am very lazy because I'm an EPing single student mom on top of not being a germophobe. And my baby has not gotten sick because of it. You'll be good

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I just pop them in the fridge, and I have pumped into them with milk in the bottles even. I had always read you could add warm milk to cool milk but not freshly pumped warm milk to frozen milk. If I pour the milk out into my feeders after a session, I reuse the setup (horns, connectors and bottles) all day, just to cut down on my washing.

It will be FINE. Been doing this for over 6 months, an average of 6 times in 24 hours. This baby has not been sick ONCE!

And there is no need to bag, unless you are storing, just pump into the bottles you will use the next day. If you can leave the horns attached to the bottles (I did not have room in the work fridge) it saves even more time.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thank you all so much...this will save soooo much time! I would have never thought about doing this if I hadn't seen it written here. Once again, you've made my life easier!