Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS slept better last night BUT....

Default DS slept better last night BUT....

The last two nights my lo has slept much better. We go to bed around 11pm and he does a 3 hour stretch and then 2 hour stretches after that..give or take a little bit.

BUT now when I wake up in middle of the night to feed him, my breasts are rock hard and really painful!! Of course he doesn't latch on right because they are so full. I try to get some milk out with my hands before trying to get lo on...but he screams because I am taking to long.

My question is...should I pump in the middle of the night or will my breasts regulate to my sons new night feeding schedule and ease up with time?

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: DS slept better last night BUT....

I'm so glad you got some sleep. I bet you feel like a new woman.

Do NOT pump. If you do, only pump the tiniest bit out or your body won't regulate. You can also wake him earlier if you need to and have him nurse.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

your breasts will regulate to your son's breastfeeding needs. although it is tempting to pump in the middle of the night the downside is your body might continue to over-produce milk . I relieved the early morning hardness by hand expressing just till I could get my nipple to protrude.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Look up reverse pressure softening...that may help with the issue of your breasts being too hard for him to latch on to right now. And don't pump...that will just keep this problem going!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had a difficult time with hand expression too. I used to just massage my breasts some to relieve some of the engorgement. It's probably not the most effective method, but it can help soften the breasts enough to be tolerable for you and your baby.

I'm with everyone else on pumping; avoid it if at all possible. Pumping can make things much worse! I started pumping too early, and the results were disastrous!