Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work....

Default Going back to work....

So I'm headed back to work next week and am trying to prepare both baby and I for the transition. I've been trying bottles for the last 2 weeks with no luck with me giving them or anyone else giving them so today I pushed the issue and waited baby out and she took two bottles and seems to be okay with it finally (it was a rough day....).

But a few more questions so I can reduce some of our transition changes, I'd love to hear your experiences! It's going to be hard to leave her and these small adjustments ahead of time I hope will make it easier on us.

1) I was planning on pumping at work 3 times (2 breaks and lunch - 10am, 12pm, and 2pm) and once in the night as she's sleeping a lot at night now and I feel like there is extra. That should cover her milk intake on most days (4 bottles) but on weekends can I breast feed or should I try to keep the same schedule and pump at the same times to keep supply consistency and then give her bottles?

Some days she feeds a lot more than others so I wasn't sure if breastfeeding the 2 weekend days would mess up my supply for during the week and if it would confuse her more and be better to stay consistent.

2)
    When I take the breast milk to our care person, is it okay to combine a bunch of milk in one or two breastmilk storage bags and have her just pour a portion into a bottle each time? Or is it better to have just one bag per feeding?

3) How long is typical to pump as well? I haven't really looked on the internet but am pumping about 3oz total in 5 minutes when it starts to taper off. I didn't know if I should lengthen the time to get closer to 4oz and if it's possible to increase my pumping supply by lengthening the time. Baby definitely eats 2 oz and probably closer to 3 oz at times, she's always growing so I'd like to have more than enough. She is 10 lbs and 2 1/2 months old.

4) From what I've read, I can pump at work and put everything in a cooler or refrigerator and it should be fine not to wash it until I get home. Does this sound okay? Any easier methods? I don't really want to try to squeeze my milk into the full/dirty fridge at work so right now getting a small cooler, pumping in my office and just keeping everything in the cooler sounds ideal for the workday. Nor do I really want to rinse out my pump equipment in front of co-workers.

Thanks! (btw I'd love to see her at lunchtime and feed her midday but it's just too far between my work and our daycare home)

- Mel
    Last edited by @llli*sisterling; July 26th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Default Re: Going back to work....

The pumping times at work sound good. I would breastfeed on the weekends. If you want to keep the extra session at night that would be fine, though. Especially if you want to keep up that session during the week.

It's easier to just bring what is needed for each feeding separately to reduce the time it takes to prepare it, risk of spilling, etc.

I usually would pump until the milk stopped flowing completely, maybe a few mins beyond that.

It's fine to refrigerate the parts.

Default Re: Going back to work....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sisterling View Post
    1) I was planning on pumping at work 3 times (2 breaks and lunch - 10am, 12pm, and 2pm) and once in the night as she's sleeping a lot at night now and I feel like there is extra. That should cover her milk intake on most days (4 bottles) but on weekends can I breast feed or should I try to keep the same schedule and pump at the same times to keep supply consistency and then give her bottles?
    That sounds like a pretty good schedule. As you start doing it, you may find that you'll want to adjust it a little. For example, I need to pump 4 times at work, so I also have a session around 8 a.m. (where I actually get the most milk, because it's the morning). It depends on your supply, though. I have a "just enough" supply, so I need to pump every time my LO gets a bottle (which is 4 times at daycare too). I definitely agree with the PP - breastfeed on the weekends. Only pump (in addition to BFing) if you need a little extra or feel that your supply is dropping.

2)
    When I take the breast milk to our care person, is it okay to combine a bunch of milk in one or two breastmilk storage bags and have her just pour a portion into a bottle each time? Or is it better to have just one bag per feeding?
    I would be way too nervous about daycare accidentally spilling my milk. My daycare requires that I make the bottles for them, so I bring in 4 bottles with about 3 ounces each. They are all ready for them when they're needed. Depending on your situation with daycare though, you could just ask what they prefer.

3) How long is typical to pump as well? I haven't really looked on the internet but am pumping about 3oz total in 5 minutes when it starts to taper off. I didn't know if I should lengthen the time to get closer to 4oz and if it's possible to increase my pumping supply by lengthening the time. Baby definitely eats 2 oz and probably closer to 3 oz at times, she's always growing so I'd like to have more than enough. She is 10 lbs and 2 1/2 months old.
    I think it all depends on the mother. I pump for about 20 minutes and get between 3-4 ounces. Are you doing breast compressions to help get more milk out? That helps me a lot. Also, I cycle my pump with the let-down button a few times, and that helps get more milk out too. If you are already doing those types of things, I don't think that increasing the time will make a difference. I think it's more about increasing the number of pump sessions during the day. The nice thing about breastmilk is that as the baby gets older, the amount that they need doesn't really change a whole lot. My DS is 5 months and he's getting 3 oz every 2-3 hours.

4) From what I've read, I can pump at work and put everything in a cooler or refrigerator and it should be fine not to wash it until I get home. Does this sound okay? Any easier methods? I don't really want to try to squeeze my milk into the full/dirty fridge at work so right now getting a small cooler, pumping in my office and just keeping everything in the cooler sounds ideal for the workday. Nor do I really want to rinse out my pump equipment in front of co-workers.
    Yep, you should be totally fine. I'm pretty lazy - I don't even rinse out the pump equipment. I just throw it into my pump bag and wash it in the evenings when I'm home. I have a small cooler with an ice pack to store the milk in. I've been doing it for a few months and haven't had any problems.

Good luck adjusting to work! It was pretty rough on me for the first month or so, but it has gotten a lot better!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)