Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 wk old feed 2-3 times an hour - has only gained 1lb over birhtweight. Ideas?

Default 5 wk old feed 2-3 times an hour - has only gained 1lb over birhtweight. Ideas?

Hello,

I'm worried about my sister but have nothing from my infant feeding experience to offer her. Her 5 week old feeds 2-3 times an hour during the day and every hour at night except once a night her husband gives the baby a bottle of formula and then she manages to get 3 hours of sleep. He is 1 lb over his birthweight. She's not in pain but absolutely exhausted.

My sister had Chemotherapy 5 years ago for cervical cancer. I don't know whether this could play a role.

Default Re: 5 wk old feed 2-3 times an hour - has only gained 1lb over birhtweight. Ideas?

your sister is so lucky to have you for her support team. do you live near enough to her to offer your pair of arms ?
    I know , for me, when i was exhausted w/ my first and when I felt like all I ever did was nurse around the clock, another pair of arms to hold and snuggle the baby so I could grab a two hour nap really made a difference.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Default Re: 5 wk old feed 2-3 times an hour - has only gained 1lb over birhtweight. Ideas?

Thanks, I wish I was closer but I'm a flight away. I just spoke to a friend of mine with a 3-week old and she feeds every 1-3 hours and her baby is above the normal weight gain target for her age. My friend was told by her doctor to only offer the breast every 1-2 hours because the baby is just seeking the breast for comfort, not food. I don't know whether this is good advice for my sister?

No, limiting the baby's time at the breast is terrible advice. Limit demand and you will limit milk supply. If there's a problem, restricting the baby's feeding frequency can exacerbate the problem.

Is your sister experiencing any problems aside from frequent feedings? Is she sore, cracked, is the baby sleepy at the breast?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    No, limiting the baby's time at the breast is terrible advice. Limit demand and you will limit milk supply. If there's a problem, restricting the baby's feeding frequency can exacerbate the problem.

Is your sister experiencing any problems aside from frequent feedings? Is she sore, cracked, is the baby sleepy at the breast?
    My first did that. And I had NO IDEA that that was a variant of NORMAL. I was SURE there was something wrong, despite all evidence to the contrary, and I was so tired. And then combine that with the bad advice from the ped, and it's a miracle I kept nursing that child.

Anyway, what she should do is just go to bed. Nurse laying down if she can. And this will go away when baby is ready. Absolutely exhausting, yes, but necessary, absolutely. BTDT with all these kids! Honestly, the worst has been this last baby I have to EP for.

My other suggestion would be a sling. When she has fed the baby, either she or someone else can wear the baby and get him to sleep that way. If someone else can hold the baby, then she can take a nap. But really, the side-lying nursing is how I got through after I learned what I was going through was actually normal, and then I did it from birth with the others, and I was not nearly as tired at all after that.

Having someone do a bottle is not a great idea. It decreases demand, which will lead to lower supply. Bottle feeding, even breastmilk, is associated with early weaning too; it's usually a slippery slope for many women, particularly when their bodies naturally decrease supply -- they freak out, add in another bottle, and before you know it, they really do have a low supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The sling might be an idea. She doesn't co-sleep, she's not comfortable with that idea but neither was I so I can understand. She has been put on Diperodon??? that drug to increase milk so it sounds to me as though her doctor feels she has low-milk production. She also gave up on the formula because she says that the baby reacted badly to it. She would like to supplement with formula and I believe her that this is her well-thought out wish and I suggested trying Nutramigen which is for more sensitive babies but she finds it too costly. She's having side-effects with the drugs with urgent bowel movements and she can't leave the house for very long which is making the situation much worse for her.