Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When should I introduce purees to my DD?

Default When should I introduce purees to my DD?

She is 5 months and has been EBF....

Default Re: When should I introduce purees to my DD?

When your LO is watching you eat and looks like she wants some. I started with mashed banana and mashed avocado when my LO was around 5 months because she was really interested in watching us eat. We used to sit her in her bumbo chair on the table at meal times with us. From there we had mashed sweet potatoe, squash, the usual. I made my own, a great site is www.wholesomebabyfood.com. Good recipes and information about making and storing baby food. It seemed like a lot of work at first, but it was probably the same amount of time as packing up the LO and driving to the store to buy some, and much cheaper and way healthier! Tastes better too!

Also remember solids don't replace bfing! Have fun exploring food with your LO!
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting until 6 months, but your baby is your best guide. Signs of readiness for solids include being able to sit well, loss of the tongue thrust reflex, development of a pincer (thumb and forefinger) grasp, and interest in food. Some babies are ready earlier than others, some later. I started trying solids here and there when my daughter was about 6 months, but it really didn't click until she was about 8 months
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Good advice from the PPs. Just wanted to add that whether or not you ever offer purees is up to you. You can do solids without ever having to use a spoon or a jar of puree or a blender. Check out this forum for threads on "baby-led solids" or "BLS"- there's a lot of good information!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I completely agree with everyone else - let your baby tell you when she's ready. All babies are different and the nice thing about BLS is that your baby can decide when and how much to eat.

I started my son on homemade purees around five months, and while he would eat, he wasn't overly enthusiastic. He started to get constipated after a week, so I figured he wasn't ready and we stopped. Shortly after he turned six months we started purees back up, and he was super excited - opening wide, leaning forward for bites. This lasted about a week, and he started sealing his lips up tight at the mere sight of a spoon. After this I just gave him pieces of fruits and veggies to gnaw on. He still eats very, very little at eight months, but I know he's eating only what he truly wants to eat and he has a good time playing with the rest. We can all sit down and eat together this way as well, so it works out really well for us.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

Usually around 6 months. Watch your baby, not the calander. Some are ready a little ealier, some not until much later.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!