Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is she weaning daytime feedings? Have no clue!!

Default Is she weaning daytime feedings? Have no clue!!

My 13 month old might be weaning from daytime feedings. I am not sure & could
    use some insight from experienced mamas.

So, we typically nurse when she wakes up, which she seems to want still. Then we
    typically nurse at 8, 11, 2, and before bed. It's the 3 sessions during the day I am
    wondering about. Somedays, she doesn't really ask to nurse. I'll sign nursing to
    her & she'll seem interested but it's hard to know how much she's eating.
    I hardly feel a letdown during the day but I sometimes feel it before bed.

Some times after nursing, she seems upset and wants to eat a meal, especially at the 8 am session. The 8 am is before breakfast and 11 am is before lunch.
    I'm really confused. Is she weaning or not? She does drink goat's milk at daycare the 3 days we are apart so should I start feeding her that instead of nursing those 3X.

I don't want to stop nursing her but I am wondering if I should start feeding her
    goat milk instead. Currently she drinks 3.5 oz at a time at daycare.

Appreciate others perspective on this. Thank you!

Default Re: Is she weaning daytime feedings? Have no clue!!

I think it depends on what you are comfortable with since she's over a year old. Since you said you would prefer her to nurse instead why not just keep offering? If she rejects you and seems interested in the goat milk, then you can always offer it. My opinion is that she is probably not weaning. My LO never really asks to nurse (she's much too busy doing toddler stuff). But I offer when I think she might be hungry and she usually goes for it. If I wanted to wean, I would start giving her cow milk instead and she probably would not complain (but I don't and she seems to not mind).

My LO also eats solids very well even after our nursing sessions too so when you mention she wants to eat a meal afterwards that is normal, IMO. My LO will nurse at 6:30am but you better believe at 7am she wants her breakfast pancake, fruit, etc. She will chase me down when I'm eating my breakfast going "MMMMMmmmmm!!!!" and making yummy sounds.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

It sounds pretty typical of how nursing a baby that age can be. She is over a year so is needing food more so that's probably why she seems hungry at the morning feed and the one right before lunch. She wants food too. And it can be common for a baby who is very active and busy not to ask to nurse but doesn't necessarily mean that they're weaning...

Thank you! Both of you are very helpful! She is eating lots of solids too. I've started making breakfast earlier, which I think will help. So we'll keep things as is for now. :-)

Glad to help