Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Pain

Unhappy Breast Pain

Okay so my dd is one month old and latched at birth and has been eb since birth. Right here lately she has been playing a lot at the left breast not latching and I have had to force her a little more sternly to latch. Now she has started doing this to both sides. Also, my nipples have started burning as well as my breast at first only when she was nursing and now sometimes when she is not nursing. They are hyper-sensitive to touch. I nursed my son for 14 months (from birth) and never experienced this. I tried looking at the different threads and could not find an answer. I was about to try pumping because it seems she does not eat for very long and just pacifies. I am getting frustrated and am trying not to transfer it to her. Could there be something I could try or is there something wrong. I would appreciate your help.
    Married Collage Sweetheart June 30, 2007
    Started Student Teaching Spring 2008
    Graduated May 3 2008
    Gave Birth to Ethan Bradley May 20, 2008
    & for 14 months
    Gave Birth to Penelope Star June 22, 2011 & & cloth diapers all the way with this one

Default Re: Breast Pain

Have you looked at possible thrush?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Congratulations on your new little one!

Have you considered thrush? http://www.llli.org/faq/thrush.html The burning makes me think that's likely, and it can also irritate your baby's mouth and make her not so eager to nurse.

I'm not quite sure I understood why you were thinking of pumping. Are you concerned that she isn't eating enough? How are her wet and dirty diapers in a 24 hour period?
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I will check into the thrush thing. I was thinking of pumping in case it was a plugged duct or something of that matter as I have had mastitis in the past. Thanks for the info.
    Married Collage Sweetheart June 30, 2007
    Started Student Teaching Spring 2008
    Graduated May 3 2008
    Gave Birth to Ethan Bradley May 20, 2008
    & for 14 months
    Gave Birth to Penelope Star June 22, 2011 & & cloth diapers all the way with this one

Sounds like thrush.

And NURSING is better than pumping for clearing plugged ducts and things like that. Do not pump unless you HAVE to!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!