Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply to undersupply in 24 hours

Unhappy Oversupply to undersupply in 24 hours

So I had a huge problem with oversupply until Friday when I tried cabbage leaves for the first time. I would place them on my breasts after feedings. I only did it for 3 feedings and felt much relief but now my LO (2 mo old tomorrow ) is emptying both breasts at one feeding and is hungry sooner especially toward the end of the day.

She is getting frustrated at the breast when she empties them and wont latch well after 5 minutes because she actually has to work for her food instead of getting sprayed in the face by it. I have taken the pacifier (high sucking need) away so that I can have her suck on my breast but she knows the difference and wont suck for pleasure/comfort on my breast.

I'm looking for any good insight, advice or cheerleading.

Default Re: Oversupply to undersupply in 24 hours

I would avoid the cabbage leaves from this point on but I wouldn't stress too much about having a supply problem. Most moms find their baby has a fussy time toward the late afternoon/evening when milk production is typically at its lowest point. My baby is six months and he still nurses much more frequently in the evening, and generally fusses at the breast. Don't panic! Babies grow so quickly and their needs change from day to day. The best thing to do is to feed her on demand and you are doing that. WTG!

Are her diapers pretty normal? Good amount of wets?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

agree w/ PP.
    your LO will now have to "work" a little harder to get meals.
    I've only heard of using cabbage leaves on the breasts when a postpartum mom wants to dry up her milk altogether. I have never heard it used to adjust a milk supply.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

with the PPs. What you describe sounds like normal supply, not undersupply. Your baby may fuss a bit while adjusting to having to work harder, but eventually she will figure it out. As the PPs said, feed on demand, watch her diapers, and use the cabbage for cole slaw and everything should be fine!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with PP
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My lactation consultant suggested only using cabbage leaves for severe engorgement - not for oversupply. But I agree with the PPs. Baby will figure it out. My baby is 2 months today - he was having some trouble yesterday with eating much more than a couple of moments - felt like we were feeding all day - didn't sleep worth a darn either. Hoping for a better day today.

I have a 6 year old, though, so I know there is light at the end of the tunnel. You can do this. Just keep offering when she needs/wants it.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Sorry for the confusion. I was severely engorged (and have been from the beginning), got mastitis, have a fast let down, fussy gassy baby... I tried block feeding I tried ignoring it, and all other suggestions that I have recieves from LCs. I attened a local LLL meeting and was suggested cabbaged leaves.

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement. I'm a first time mom and paranoid

Heck, I'm a second-time mom, and I'm even paranoid. It's normal. But like everyone has said, I think if you will just feed when she wants, you'll be good! Your body is going to continue to make that milk even if you feel "deflated."
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

If you had severe engorgement and oversupply, the good news is that it's going to take more than a couple of cabbage leaves to kill your supply! Even if your supply went down a little, it will pick right back up with more nursing. Women with oversupply usually have a highly responsive supply, meaning that your body is happy to make more on demand and your supply responds quickly to increased stimulation. So don't panic, just nurse on demand, enjoy your slaw (), and hang in there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.