Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: food/milk??

Default food/milk??

I'm EBF by 5 week old son & I'm going to start keeping a journal of what I'm eatting how he is doing during the day/night as he has been somewhat gassy. I want to see if it's any food in particular that are bothering him (i don't do dairy or the obvious foods that are known to cause upset). How soon does what you eat enter your breast milk?

Background info: I have an overactive letdown & he is now on Zantac for silent reflux

Also, do you know if it's ok to have the occassional glass of wine? I've heard both yes and no.

Thanks for any info or advice that you have.

Default Re: food/milk??

How soon what you eat enters your breastmilk depends on kind of a lot of stuff. My daughter is allergic to cow's milk protein and soy. There have been a couple of occasions when I've inadvertently eaten something with dairy or soy, and I've noticed that she started to react between 7-12ish hours after I'd consumed the offending item. Don't know if that helps

Having an occasional glass of wine is up to you. Some women stay completely away from alcohol, and some (myself included) don't see a problem with having a drink here and there. If you choose to, it's a good idea to try and time it right after nursing, so that you give the alcohol plenty of time to be metabolized before you feed your baby again. The alcohol level in your milk mirrors that in your blood, so there's no need to pump and dump unless you're uncomfortably full. Otherwise, a general rule of thumb is that if you feel intoxicated, then there's too much alcohol in your milk. If you feel ok, then your milk is ok
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I think keeping a food journal is a great tool for pinpointing which foods result in your LO's discomfort.
    I don't know how quickly a digested food shows up as an allergin in your milk.
    since foods we eat are digested before our bloodstream can carry the nutrients to our organs I don't think there is a biologically identifiable molecule of any offending food in mother's breastmilk.
    Although I did recently read that certain proteins pass into the breastmilk, like cows milk and other foods are irritable to a mom like eggs, corn and soy but they don't pass into the breastmilk.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

FWIW, I was just reading about a study on peanut proteins in breastmilk, and it said that the proteins showed up in the milk within 2-6 hours after the mother ate peanuts. Whether other substances are processed in a similar amount of time, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firefly View Post
    Having an occasional glass of wine is up to you. Some women stay completely away from alcohol, and some (myself included) don't see a problem with having a drink here and there. If you choose to, it's a good idea to try and time it right after nursing, so that you give the alcohol plenty of time to be metabolized before you feed your baby again. The alcohol level in your milk mirrors that in your blood, so there's no need to pump and dump unless you're uncomfortably full. Otherwise, a general rule of thumb is that if you feel intoxicated, then there's too much alcohol in your milk. If you feel ok, then your milk is ok
    There's a wide range of recommendations from different organizations, but what it seems to come down to is that alcohol is okay as long as it's not very much and not very often. Studies have found that babies take in less milk than usual during the 3 or 4 hours after mom has a drink, and their sleep patterns may be disrupted for a day or so.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--