Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here needing help!

Default Newbie here needing help!

I have a call into the hospital's Lactation center - but I thought I would try here too!

I'm new so please forgive any faux pas!

LO is 3 1/2 weeks old and yesterday he started wanting to nurse constantly and never seems satisfied. Yesterday evening I added 2 ozs of formula to an oz of BM that I pumped prior and he finished all but 1/2 an oz. was good overnight (drank 1 breast before falling back to sleep 2x) 1 pumped once at 10 PM while he slept and then the second breast at 12AM and 4AM - got a total of 4 oz pumping - fed again at 7am - both breasts and he was not satisfied until I had given him another 3.5 oz! I feel like I don't have enough milk during the day

Trying to build a stash but he's having to eat it all! HELP!

Default Re: Newbie here needing help!

Welcome!

Three weeks is prime time for a growth spurt. Many babies want to do little else than nurse for several days, round the clock. And the constant nursing is what will tell your body to make more milk. You can get back to building your stash in a few days, after your little one is done with this big growth. Try to avoid resorting to bottles during this time if you can, since that will tell your body that no more milk is needed.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I try to get him to suckle for a while after I am "empty" so that my body gets the message that he needs more milk (he usually fusses when I'm empty) and I also pump during the early morning. But I have to give him some pumped milk or formula to satisfy his hunger.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Welcome!

Three weeks is prime time for a growth spurt. Many babies want to do little else than nurse for several days, round the clock. And the constant nursing is what will tell your body to make more milk. You can get back to building your stash in a few days, after your little one is done with this big growth. Try to avoid resorting to bottles during this time if you can, since that will tell your body that no more milk is needed.
    Your baby will probably be happier if you just focus on nursing right now, especially if he is going through a growth spurt. I built up a stash early on and ended up with an oversupply. Plus I kept making more milk than needed when I went back to work so rather than just replacing what I used, I kept adding to the stash. Now I've got more milk than I know what to do with. I even had to be hospitalized for a few days and away from my son, and I still have more frozen milk than I need. I may make yoghurt just to get rid of some of it.

Pumping 4 oz In addition to nursing is really good output, so you will have no problem building a stash when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shawnslovely View Post
    I try to get him to suckle for a while after I am "empty" so that my body gets the message that he needs more milk (he usually fusses when I'm empty) and I also pump during the early morning. But I have to give him some pumped milk or formula to satisfy his hunger.
    If you put away the pump for now and just nurse as much as possible, you probably won't need the expressed milk or formula. Like I suggested above, your output sounds good, so you should be able to build up a stash pretty quickly if you wait another week or two.

I know it seems like "topping up" with the bottle is the only way to get your baby satisfied, but it is really counterproductive to what you are trying to achieve. When you supplement, your baby doesn't nurse as much. Nursing is what gives your body the message to make more milk. So whenever the baby skips a feeding or even just goes longer between feedings because he filled up on supplement, that's telling your body that it doesn't need to make milk.

I suggest doing the following:
    1. Stop the supplementing. I know it may mean a fussy baby, but if he is getting lazy because he is coming to expect a bottle after nursing, now is the time to nip that habit in the bud!
    2. Watch the baby's diaper output. A long as it remains normal, his milk intake is fine. Good input = good output!
    3. Start building your stash. Choose one or two times a day and pump immediately after the baby nurses. Don't expect a high yield of milk, especially at first. You're aiming to gradually increase supply by pumping consistently.
    4. Don't freak out too much about the state of your stash! I have seen a lot of working moms say that they do not think that moms need to be more than 1-2 days ahead of their baby's needs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    If you put away the pump for now and just nurse as much as possible, you probably won't need the expressed milk or formula. Like I suggested above, your output sounds good, so you should be able to build up a stash pretty quickly if you wait another week or two.
    Oh - I thought that if I stopped the early morning pumping - when he doesn't take/finish the second breast my supply would go down?! Also when he feeds at 7pm and I am full at 10pm and he doesn't happen to wake to feed at that time (usually sleeps until midnight - this is is long sleep)

There are many days when my LO doesn't take the second breast (He's almost 2 months old) and I don't fret over it anymore. He can go 4 hours off of one breast now. Your supply should match what your baby needs, so if he only needs one breast, your supply wouldn't go down enough to cause you to not have enough to fill him!
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

Oh, and I work 3 nights a week and I have no freezer stash of milk whatsoever. I pumped enough milk the week before I went back to work for them to get through the first night, and then I just pump enough at work to get them through the next night at work. It works. I'm already battling an oversupply issue, I can't imagine what it would be like if I pumped at home to build up a stash.
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I know it seems like "topping up" with the bottle is the only way to get your baby satisfied, but it is really counterproductive to what you are trying to achieve. When you supplement, your baby doesn't nurse as much. Nursing is what gives your body the message to make more milk. So whenever the baby skips a feeding or even just goes longer between feedings because he filled up on supplement, that's telling your body that it doesn't need to make milk.

I suggest doing the following:
    1. Stop the supplementing. I know it may mean a fussy baby, but if he is getting lazy because he is coming to expect a bottle after nursing, now is the time to nip that habit in the bud!
    2. Watch the baby's diaper output. A long as it remains normal, his milk intake is fine. Good input = good output!
    3. Start building your stash. Choose one or two times a day and pump immediately after the baby nurses. Don't expect a high yield of milk, especially at first. You're aiming to gradually increase supply by pumping consistently.
    4. Don't freak out too much about the state of your stash! I have seen a lot of working moms say that they do not think that moms need to be more than 1-2 days ahead of their baby's needs.
    Great advice!

I have nothing more to add to what's already been said so I'll just add my support! Hang in there. What you are going through is completely normal. Trust your baby and your body!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness